Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 4

barred Plymouth Rock. ~4 weeks

Pullet

We think these are between 4-5 weeks old. We have ideas on gender, but have no experience! :)

Buff Orpington:

Easter Egger:

Olive Egger:

Thanks!!

We think these are between 4-5 weeks old. We have ideas on gender, but have no experience! :) Buff Orpington: Easter Egger: Olive Egger: Thanks!!
There still quite a young age, as you can see on the buff Orpington it has a pale comb and no visible wattle but then it's stance and tail feathers make me lean towards a rooster. The olive egger is looking like a rooster to me as well but some may say different. And the other Easter egger I can't get a clear zoomed in picture of that sorry but I'm thinking a pullet.

I've got one response for cockerel and one for pullet. Any advice on how to narrow it down? The behavior is the main thing that made me think it might be a cockerel. Very jumpy, flighty, often jumps on top of my other EE pullet, and generally seems more high energy and aggravated. Then I started looking at other posts on Barred Rock sexing. Should I just wait and see another week or so?

Cockerel
BO-- possible cockerel
EE -- pullet
OE-- :idunno

I've got one response for cockerel and one for pullet. Any advice on how to narrow it down? The behavior is the main thing that made me think it might be a cockerel. Very jumpy, flighty, often jumps on top of my other EE pullet, and generally seems more high energy and aggravated. Then I started looking at other posts on Barred Rock sexing. Should I just wait and see another week or so?

Cockerel
BO-- possible cockerel
EE -- pullet
OE-- :idunno

one thing, BR pullets cannot have as light of barring as roosters. Rooster barring is finer (thinner), but your cick doesnt have adult feathers yet. Watch for comb growth way too early, saddle feathers, etc. Also, the plain yellow legs aren't a sure tell tale signs, but usually mean cockerel. Pullets tend to have a black tint to the legs :)

Back
Top Bottom