November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics

Well the 2 eggs of mine I put in there hatched a day early. Didn't really care if these two hatched... Waiting for the BCM eggs to hatch. Tomorrow is day 21. Black Friday Copper Marans... **crossing fingers**
The black one above is a bantam cochin/silkie mix and the yellow is a buff polish/sussex mix.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Today's the day lock down time so excited for my first incubation crossing fingers they hatch :)

You all are the only ones who understand how much excitement this little set up can bring! We are on day 14, will candle tonight - Wahoo! Still don't have a firm plan for our "planned power outage" this next Thursday (it's a 6 hour outage, so definitely need a plan) had the neighbors over last night - we were thinking of stringing extension cords from their place - but they'll be out too. Maybe time to see if the old generator in the garage has some life yet... I really hate the idea of transporting them to someone's house - I have visions of tripping on my way out to the car, and ruining the entire batch!

I realized the first photo was of the first day, right before I put them in. This is what it looks like today...hah...a lot more notes, but eggs still look like, well... eggs!
Without doing a bunch of research this morning, does anyone know when to stop rotating them? Just at lockdown? Or before?

I realized the first photo was of the first day, right before I put them in. This is what it looks like today...hah...a lot more notes, but eggs still look like, well... eggs!
Without doing a bunch of research this morning, does anyone know when to stop rotating them? Just at lockdown? Or before?
Everything is done the same until day 18. That's when you stop turning & increase humidity. Why day 18? It's not a magic number, just an estimate. If the chicks started to hatch a little sooner, the conditions would be more favorable for them to hatch. Basically, you don't want a chick to start working on an area of the shell, only to have it turned & she must start over again. The humidity keeps the membranes soft, so easier to cut through.

So here's a situation for those advanced hatchers:
My Thanksgiving chicks hatched Wed-Thurs.
Wed afternoon & eve = 6 early chicks
Thurs morning = 3 chicks on time
Thurs late afternoon = 2 more chicks

Normally by now any eggs left would be quitters. Just now I candled before tossing & the last 2 eggs have movement & loud peeping. (only internal pips, no visible external pip.) Just wondering if the shell is too thick or if the chick too big to move properly. They're now back in the incubator - which smells awful due to hatch debris & the fermented chicks' 1st bowel movements.

Not sure if I should assist or wait. Normally, I always say wait, but knowing that the rest under the same conditions hatched 24-48 hrs ago makes me nervous. Has anyone had a situation like this with no pips? (I've only assisted when a chick gets stuck while zipping. Never tried one like this. Would hate to open it & find out it's just slower maturing.)

I just want to check in and say I've met the 3 beautiful chicks this morning. They were all late comers to the party and all were fully hatched early in the morning. By their stickiness I'm thinking they hatched at sunrise.
These little buggers went from absolutely no pips on any of the eggs to all hatched in a very quick time.
I LOVE baby peeps!
(I'm now wrestling with technology to get the first pics off the phone and posted)

Last edited:
I just want to check in and say I've met the 3 beautiful chicks this morning. They were all late comers to the party and all were fully hatched early in the morning. By their stickiness I'm thinking they hatched at sunrise.
These little buggers went from absolutely no pips on any of the eggs to all hatched in a very quick time.
I LOVE baby peeps!
(I'm now wrestling with technology to get the first pics of the phone and posted)

pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom