November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Awesome news!
My hatch is running long too, something new for me, but out of 14 I have 9 hatched and 2 more piped. Better than I was thinking with shipped eggs!

Dark grey which most often has turned blue with partridge head and hackle.

Next is the little yellow one. So far both hatches had one of this exact color become bright orange, just like the dad.

And this one is the light grey...

These little ones came out 2 days late! They're well worth the wait! They are now in their mom's new nesting box (which obviously needed lots of cleaning) right nest to a small cage where their siblings from the previous hatch are waiting to meet them.
As soon as the chicks become a bit more willing to explore they'll be able to see each other, but not without a separation for safety.(Thanks, again Faraday40 for your great advice!)
Can anyone says when, approximately, it would be safe to remove that barrier? I know the 11 going on 12 week olds are cramped in the small space they have at the moment.
Thanks.

Isn't it interesting that so many people this month have had or are having late hatches!? My mind always puzzles around things like that.
Congrats to all of the humans for such good care and patience...and Skill! and Happy hatch day to and little peeps! We're so happy you're here!

(Thanks, again Faraday40 for your great advice!)
Can anyone says when, approximately, it would be safe to remove that barrier? I know the 11 going on 12 week olds are cramped in the small space they have at the moment.
Thanks.
Those are some pretty cute chicks you hatched!

The barrier could be in place for a few days to a few weeks. It depends on the temperament of your flock. I like to raise up part of the cage on bricks, so the chicks can run under & into it as a safety zone, but with the entry too small for a full-sized adult to enter. My broodies are bantams, so they can usually squeeze under to join their chicks.

I also have a huddle house. Basically a place for older chicks to sleep who no longer need heat but are too young to roost with the big girls. (I really dislike it when they sleep & poop in the nest boxes!) Sometimes I'll use the huddle house as a safety zone.

When the flock is out & about in the yard, I rarely see any trouble. It's when they must all come inside to sleep for the night, that some hens like to give grief to the littles. They eventually always work things out, but providing a safe zone gives stress relief & ensures that the younger pullets get their basic needs met.

Isn't it interesting that so many people this month have had or are having late hatches!? My mind always puzzles around things like that.
Congrats to all of the humans for such good care and patience...and Skill! and Happy hatch day to and little peeps! We're so happy you're here!
I wonder if the outside temps when gathering the eggs made a diff. (I never hatched in Nov before) I've had both early & late hatches, but usually the hatching window is active for about 24-30 hours. After that, any eggs left in the incubator had died.

Dark grey which most often has turned blue with partridge head and hackle. Next is the little yellow one. So far both hatches had one of this exact color become bright orange, just like the dad. And this one is the light grey... These little ones came out 2 days late! They're well worth the wait! They are now in their mom's new nesting box (which obviously needed lots of cleaning) right nest to a small cage where their siblings from the previous hatch are waiting to meet them. As soon as the chicks become a bit more willing to explore they'll be able to see each other, but not without a separation for safety.(Thanks, again Faraday40 for your great advice!) Can anyone says when, approximately, it would be safe to remove that barrier? I know the 11 going on 12 week olds are cramped in the small space they have at the moment. Thanks.
. I also have multiple safe spots when I integrate the youngsters. Some are just an "igloo" of chicken wire with 2 or more openings and a separate food and water station. That way there is a safe spot to eat, drink, and nap. Of course, I start integrating young (around 6 weeks) when they don't look like a threat to the established order. It's not what most recommend, but it seems to work for me. Plenty of space and safe houses are the key to success in my flock.

Everyone wish me luck! I just had a hen go broody...again. She's a perpetual broody. This is her 3rd time this year and she just turned a year old a couple months ago lol. I gave her the 5 CCL chicks that I hatched at the beginning of the month. I'm hoping she'll adopt them and raise them for me. I'll be checking on them every 20 minutes to make sure that they're figuring out how she works and that she's accepting them. So far, she looks willing even though she just started sitting yesterday lol

Last edited:
@Faraday40 and @ FridayYet, thanks for the sweet comments and awesome advice!!!
Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner but tomorrow morning I'll take a few pics of the "silkie house" to show how I did the set up as closely as possible to your suggestions. I've never had chicks so close to their siblings of a previous hatch, and safely.
I'd love to raise the nest up a bit so the 2 groups can see each other when the little ones are ready. They seem very tied to their mom at present, even more than last hatch. I wonder if there being so few chicks affects that. Last time there were 7 chicks. By the time the "adopted" (eggs) chicks were nearly as big as mom they moved up to the area where the big chicks and big chickens live.
I'll have too sort out in the future how the best housing will be...but for now (as well as having lots of fun with the bid peeps) I'm just loving holding and loving the little ones!

Getting ready... here is the brooder I made today. Cut a hole (most of it) in the top and zip tied hardware cloth to the lid. I have cats and grandchildren, so want to make sure they are safe! It is a 30 gallon tote- the biggest I could find for now.

Last edited:
I HAVE to let evereveryone know I am on day 20 I can't take this I am sitting in front of of theIincubator already waiting lol this this is this is my first hatch though:) wish wish me luck

Back
Top Bottom