November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Here are my two. Almost a week old. Amazing how much they have changed! Skye, the darker one, has much longer wings than Topaz, the yellow one. So amazing to see the changes take place. [IMG][IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7647026/width/200/height/400
[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7647027/width/200/height/400

Last edited:
At 1.5 weeks old, we gave away our chicks & over 1/2 the quail.
Here's DD saying Good Bye to one of her favorites.
(Those chicks were bonded to the kids & came whenever she clucked for them. LOL)

... and here's one of the quail.

The quail are almost the size of the chicks. Hard to believe they were smaller than a quarter less than 2 weeks ago. (Will turn 2 weeks on Tues) She's very happy that we allowed her to keep a few. Hope they're not all males! The quail are very spoiled & like to jump up into our hands. The little one (I think "failure to thrive") is still hanging on. DD decided to keep it. It eats & drinks fine but just seems slower to mature. I haven't seen the others picking on it, so I suppose there's a chance. I certainly didn't think it would live longer than a week, but those little feathers are growing in. Compared to the reg one, it looks maybe 5-6 days younger.

We just sold four of the BCM chicks and 1 OE. I think we will keep the rest. I had a big quandary with 2 of the OEs because they look almost identical to the BCM! I think we got it figured out, but I had to let the man who bought our chicks that he may have a surprise in there (of course we will trade him if we messed up!)

I noticed today that from the twelve 3 week old chicks, the six being raised inside are a good 2x larger than their six hatch mates being raised by their momma, and have 3x the feathers. Does anyone know why that might be? I have a chick feeder of chick starter outside for all the chicks, which they do eat, and they also eat the flock feed that their momma breaks up for them, and whatever else. The inside chicks only get the chick starter.

Only 5 are in the picture, but they are all the same size.

I noticed today that from the twelve 3 week old chicks, the six being raised inside are a good 2x larger than their six hatch mates being raised by their momma, and have 3x the feathers. Does anyone know why that might be? I have a chick feeder of chick starter outside for all the chicks, which they do eat, and they also eat the flock feed that their momma breaks up for them, and whatever else. The inside chicks only get the chick starter.

Only 5 are in the picture, but they are all the same size.

I dont know but there is a huge difference i may need to buy chick starter. Mine are eating on there own too.

I dont know but there is a huge difference i may need to buy chick starter. Mine are eating on there own too.

Awe, cuties!

I didn't offer chick starter during the summer, but with so many broodies, I started putting it out for all the chicks when fall came along and natural food is harder to come by. I do wonder if these 3 week olds are just not eating as much of it, but the flock feed should basically be the same, just bigger pieces. But the difference in size and feather development is huge. I wish I could get a side by side comparison picture.

Good luck getting girls! Looks like my hatches from this month and last are mostly boys
hmm.png
To tell the truth, of the 9, I only know of 1 definite pullet and 1 that's a maybe lol
hey how did that one egg that you set go? was it fertile? :) @Auroradream26

Back
Top Bottom