Official BYC Poll: Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 198 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters
I live in the suburbs and I'm allowed to keep as many as I like, as long as the neighbours are not disturbed. So I've chosen to not keep a rooster (although there are a couple within earshot, which is handy if ever I want to put fertile eggs under a broody). I hope to gradually build up a flock of 8-12 hens with the old ones living out their days in peace.

Here in urban Honolulu, non-agricultural zoned properties may have up to two chickens. It is not enforced and there's a Facebook group that openly flouts the rules. One lady had the gall to say that her suburban neighbors are always complaining but she only has fifteen that are hers and only three are roosters. The rest are just ferals that she feeds and they come around for the food.

Ugh!!!

Sorry, I'm all for the fact that this big metropolis is trying to be considerate of those that want a sustainable lifestyle, but if you want more birds, do what I did -- raise quail. My birds don't wake everyone else up at 3 am and they don't free range in my neighbors' vegetable gardens. I also don't set my roosters loose in city parks for others to deal with.

'nuff said. Thanks for letting me vent.

We have some weird rules where we are outside of Atlanta. The town I live in has no restrictions, HOWEVER my address falls under the county regulations and that states that you may only have 6 adult birds (total, not per breed/species) per full acre and 1 adult livestock mammal per full acre. I am on 1.85ac and am only allowed to have 6 birds. So I have 2 geese, 9 bantam/light chickens and 8 ducks. I just focus on not bothering my neighbors and hope it’ll be fine. Definitely no peacocks or guineas for me though… yet…

Back
Top Bottom