Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
Hello, I have been looking at numerous breeds and narrowed down my choices to three breeds has this one on that list. I have been trying to find the price for these birds, be it hatching eggs or adult/juvenile birds, but I have found nothing online. Can you guys give me a guess amount for some of these lovely birds? They would be used for breeding, showing, and brought with me for animal talks.

Can anyone help me learn what good type is for Ohiki?

I have been reading everything I can and looking at everyone's pics and I think I have a good idea but want to be sure what I should be selecting for from what I have to work with....

I have some of Amanda's Fly tie Ohiki crosses and I have been breeding them with intent of a nice barred bird but I would also like to select for Ohiki type as much as possible.

From what I read Ohiki's should be very short with yellowish/greenish legs, white ear lobes, nice full rounded tail and no leg feathering. Is this correct?

These are the birds I am currently working with

This last pic is a young roo that has a lot of filling out to do still :)

I am working on getting recessive chocolate into them and would like to know what I should be selecting for as I outcross.

I have the above young roo over a Chocolate Cuckoo English Orp (below)

Any advice would really be appreciated :)

Thanks!

1 inch leg shanks
green legs
yellow only in whites
white lobes
large single comb

squatty round body

squatty round shape tail, not narrow and phoenix like at all. Cup your hand like you were holding a ball. That's the tail shape for ohiki.
very soft feathering
multiple feathering in the tail and saddles
thin feather type, not the thick phoenix feathers
tail angle should be slightly elevated off the rump, then fall softly down. No feathering should be held up or stick out long , and away from the body
back line should be very short too

this male is close. Needs white lobes, tad shorter back. Other than that he is perfect

I have 2 black ohiki male chicks (3 weeks old), 1 with red comb, the other with plum comb. Which one should I keep? If anyone has black ohiki, please post pictures of the adults.

Thank you. I am a first time ohiki ownet.

Type before everything else...If its short leg and thick cochin like feathers and nice white lobes that;s your keeper. Comb color is last on the list.. Also does the saddles drag good?..How long is the tail?? If there to young to tell all that then its to early to judge...TM

They are too young to tell. I will give them time to develop. Thank you so much for answering my question.

Hello fellow chicken-lovers! I have a couple of Ohiki questions if anyone would like to pipe in?

1. Is anyone actively working on getting them accepted by the ABA? I see so many color combinations but only see three suggested for the standard.
2. Has anyone tried them in a non-heated northern climate? (Indoor/draft-free of course)
3. What size egg do they lay (say compared to a bantam phoenix)
4. What are their flying capabilities?

Thank you in advance for the information! :bow

Back
Top Bottom