Old and Rare Breeds

The numbers of our old and rare breeds is on the rise based on recent show reports that I've seen. The quality of these birds is also excellent. I'm especially pleased to see so many of the Ancient Breeds doing so well at major shows across the country.

It takes alot of hard work and dedication to really make a difference in a breed. I know I've been working with Cubalayas now for near 15 years and I am finally seeing the progress I've been looking for in the breed.

The amount of time and money it takes for one of these breeds is beyond most peoples understanding. This is also why I don't just give or sell a Cubalaya to just anyone. With all this work in them, I want to see them go to someone who is going to continue to improve the breed and stick with it.

halleluiah to that

I agree........I've had the Pyncheon breed for almost 20 years and have been raising livestock in general for 50 plus years.     A lot of hard work and dedication goes into preserving and maintaining any rare breed of livestock...I also raise Scottish Blackface Sheep since 1996 and hope to keep the sheep and Bantams for another 20 years or so.

Rusty do you ever sell started birds?

I never have.....but I suppose I could. I'm working with Silver Mille Fleur this year as well....Pullets look nice....working on the cockerels. I don't like to sell anything 'til I see what it's potential might be. Some birds start out looking good......and then later end up as flops.

Last edited:
Rusty,
How many of those little gems you plan to hatch this year?

I usually hatch around 500 or so (from all my birds), but I really need to start cutting down. Don't know if I will, but I need too.

I am working on Marans with a pea comb...maybe just go all the way to a cushion since I have the Albertans here.
That said, the Albertan line I have going is really doing well although I will hatch as many offspring as I can this spring & summer & hopefully I do not have to increase egg size...............my definition of a good year round layer up north is a big egg~
But so far, they are doing extremely well, the off spring pullets began laying today, January 5th, 2014 at 10 AM in 27 degrees after nights of 24 degrees...yeah, that is a good northern chicken !
And good lookin' too!

big_smile.png

They so love pasta~~~~~~~~~~
This young male above is a son via a leghorn..............and I am not happy with his size although he is a sweetheart & very curious !
To his left you can see coloration of the pullet offspring.
ONWARD we trudge !

Gorgeous birds Chickielady! Alaskan if you are looking for minimal comb and historical lineage you might check out Bredas. They actually have NO comb. They were widespread in America before the production breeds came but were known by a different names. After that they went extinct here although I read one source that sites them as being part of what the Langshan is based on. Of course they still have wattles to contend with.

The Brabranter is also a rare breed and while has slightly more comb than the Breda has negligible wattles covered by a beard. It has a Mohawk crest that helps protect the little forked comb it has.

Now if you are liking the Ameraucana but want something older see Grannychick55 for Collanas and Sweet Potato Quetcha. Collanas have minimal beard more like a mans 4 day growth so that they give the general impression of cleanfaced. They have no tail and obviously were one of the ancestor of the Auracana. They have no tufts to mess with. The Sweet Potato Quetcha looks very similar to the Ameraucana but being landrace like the Collanas come in many, many more colors.
Collana hen Sweet Potato hen

These are critical landraces because so many production birds have been introduced to South America that it is very difficult to find birds that have not been affected by them. Read Resolution's threads on the origins of the South American chickens and Yashar's threads. Grannychick55 got her stock from Yashar. Resolution should write a history of chicken migration and publish it. He is a good writer and it is a fascinating read. I would love to read what he would write about the rest of the ancient chicken world.

Gorgeous birds Chickielady! Alaskan if you are looking for minimal comb and historical lineage you might check out Bredas. They actually have NO comb. They were widespread in America before the production breeds came but were known by a different names. After that they went extinct here although I read one source that sites them as being part of what the Langshan is based on. Of course they still have wattles to contend with. URL]
Just to prevent spread of misinformation, the Langshan is not "based" on the Breda, likely unrelated. The Langshan is not based on anything and is not a composite breed.

I'm not too sure.....For certain I'll be hatching Mille Fleur, Porcelain, and some Whites. Maybe a few of the other project colors: Golden Neck, Blue Mille Fleur, Silver Mille Fleur, Black tailed Reds, and Black tailed Whites. I should also have about 50 Scottish Blackface lambs this Spring and I'm planting about 3,000 Dahlias. I'll try and raise up about 150 Pyncheons this year.....more if I get the time and make more space. Think Spring guys!!!! Rusty

Gorgeous birds Chickielady! Alaskan if you are looking for minimal comb and historical lineage you might check out Bredas. They actually have NO comb. They were widespread in America before the production breeds came but were known by a different names. After that they went extinct here although I read one source that sites them as being part of what the Langshan is based on. Of course they still have wattles to contend with.

The Brabranter is also a rare breed and while has slightly more comb than the Breda has negligible wattles covered by a beard. It has a Mohawk crest that helps protect the little forked comb it has.

Now if you are liking the Ameraucana but want something older see Grannychick55 for Collanas and Sweet Potato Quetcha. Collanas have minimal beard more like a mans 4 day growth so that they give the general impression of cleanfaced. They have no tail and obviously were one of the ancestor of the Auracana. They have no tufts to mess with. The Sweet Potato Quetcha looks very similar to the Ameraucana but being landrace like the Collanas come in many, many more colors.
Collana hen Sweet Potato hen

These are critical landraces because so many production birds have been introduced to South America that it is very difficult to find birds that have not been affected by them. Read Resolution's threads on the origins of the South American chickens and Yashar's threads. Grannychick55 got her stock from Yashar. Resolution should write a history of chicken migration and publish it. He is a good writer and it is a fascinating read. I would love to read what he would write about the rest of the ancient chicken world.
Actually ordered some Quacha eggs a year ago, and they arrived well, but all turned bloodringed, and I was told again by the seller that they are notoriasly hard to ship....eggs that is.
One big issue I have is by definition, "Crele" is not what I have.
What I have is a BBR with barring.......and that by definition is not what the SOP calls "Crele"'
Crele:

This being a shot of Crele~~~
and as the SOP says description wise~
My bird is way off of what is considered "Crele" in the SOP.
THat said, what I need to do is specify what I have is "Super Crele"..........much more beautiful than regular 2 toned crele.
What I have is a BBR crossed with a barred bird~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~and it has been done for years before myself, in wyandottes and polish and shamos, and and and~~~
BUT, what we are doing when we introduce a barring gene to a black-breasted-red fowl, is going to have to be retitled as
Super Crele
As it is NOT "crele" as stated in the SOP.
As you can see below (and above) My bird is far more beautiful...and very much different than what the SOP calls "Crele"
In the past, I was "used" to anyone adding a barred gene to any color fowl and that in itself was "Crele". not true.
So, from now on I will not refer to my fowl as "Crele", but rename it as "Super Crele".........and as good soilders, we march on~

Incorrect comb, and a juvenile here, but stunning all the same, a new coloration...we shall not call "Crele".
This is "Buster"....below is Buster's sire, "Phoenix"...........from a pure bred old line of Partridrige Chantecler.

Neither falls under the SOP definiton of "CRele"................as do many others who are working on "Crele" Polish of wyandottes or whatever...............a crele is a fully FULLY bnarred bird, wings & all, and of 2 coclors, gold and black......period.
So yes indeed, what we have here is SUPER CRELE...................and we must "bother" the SOP yet again about it~~~

Just to add more spice to the pot:
The 3 eggs hatched from the original "Crele" sport Chantecler, and pure Chantecler partridge hens, 3 eggs were hatched and of them, these are the birds:

Buster

Buster's sister, Bertha, yes she has a saddle on~ and...................

and this is Buster's full brother~
So, there was 3 eggs hatched from a mating of Phoenix, and full partridge hens (ordered from some other place just for this hatch) and of 3 eggs hatched, this is the birds.
Freaky huh ????
If you look up "Partridge" or "Crele" in the SOP, you will be unable to classify these 2 colors, either the "crele" sport that apparently has happened a few times, nor the "partridge " which is SUPER VIBRANT...........these birds make the SOP description of crele or partridge look like taupe.

Back
Top Bottom