Old Members Missing - Lots of New Members - Please USE SEARCH FEATURE

Quote:
Using the search tool is an art. I'm still learning too. Sometimes it helps and sometimes
it doesn't. Good job for bringing this up. Maybe my next post will be
"Search tool techniques".
smile.png

If you click on index then subject you will see threads called stickies that never go
to the bottom. They are very helpful.

Good response Chickenannie.

Well, I am a newbie to this forum but have had chickens forever BUT, I have a confession!!!

I did not see the search feature until today!!!!! It's a case of couldn't see the forest for the tree's. Or something like that.

And yes, when I join a new forum, I am scared, nervous and afraid of getting ignored, snipped at, and usually "lurk" for a long time before testing the water.

This is a great forum - I enjoy it very much!!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

One big problem I alway seem to have with the search feature is this. If I see my chickens has, say, puffy feet. I do a search for "feet look puffy". There may be 10 threads on "feet appear swollen" but if I never think to actually search with THOSE words, I am still going to think there is no info on the subject. Obviously this is just a (very strange...LOL) example. I also know there is no real way to fix this. *sigh*

Quote:
We are all happy to have you here and thanks for coming into a thread I'm sure a
lot are watching and admitting to not seeing the search function. That is not a big deal.

I'm learning a lot from this. I am a member of many forums, most non-chicken, so I'm
used to using the search function. In my arrogance I may have thought everyone
should just know it. That is my mistake.

What I will do from now on is do a search myself and post the search findings. Doing
that I can help more people in a shorter time.

Does anyone think it's rude to reference other threads? I love it when people
do it to me.

Don

OK, thanks for explaining stickies. I finally found them. I'm not sure how clear they are to other newbies though. Maybe it should have a more *obvious* name other than 'sticky' which only has meaning for the stickee, not the newbie.

I really appreciate all the knowledge on this site!

tnkin....Everyone is always here to help, its a place for you to feel comfortable in asking your questions......I had to clean my reading glasses the first few times before I ever saw the Search button too, so your not alone and Welcome to BYC...post away!!!

Last edited:
PC I don't think it's rude if it helps answer someone elses question that I don't have answers for...

This is a good post to have started for everyone ....

Quote:
We are all happy to have you here and thanks for coming into a thread I'm sure a
lot are watching and admitting to not seeing the search function. That is not a big deal.

I'm learning a lot from this. I am a member of many forums, most non-chicken, so I'm
used to using the search function. In my arrogance I may have thought everyone
should just know it. That is my mistake.

What I will do from now on is do a search myself and post the search findings. Doing
that I can help more people in a shorter time.

Does anyone think it's rude to reference other threads? I love it when people
do it to me.

Don

I thnik thats an excellent idea PC, I wouldn't consider it rude if a link is posted to a thread that answers a question, in fact then the OP could post to that thread and add to it, keeping the thread alive for others to see.

It took me 2 years to figure out what SO stood for lol. I love helping the new peeps and Please dont be shy or scared to post. I stink at using the search feture lol. it takes me forever to find what post I want.

Back
Top Bottom