Our 12 yo pie-bald male is now aggressive toward my husband

Oh wow! I did not see all these replies until now. Thank you all for the advice. I will read through it and see what I can adopt. One thing is, he is simply not an outside pet, and we have cold winters so there is no way I will transition him to fully outside in his lifetime.

But here are my updates and the steps we took to try to adjust his behavior and that worked so far 90%:

Thinking about territory: I was thinking back at what changed that could have affected him and realized he got used to being everywhere: my office, the kitchen, etc. Because once he stops dancing and molts, he is more curious, lucid, and interactive so he tends to roam more. Also, his hunger is insatiable so he begs nonstop as he is regrowing feathers. And, I thought it would be nice to spend time together while I was working. But then, whenever my husband entered birds new "expanded" territory, like the kitchen is when the issue really escalated.

Anyway so, I set up a strict barrier to just keep him in his regular area. This was annoying because it consisted of me using lot of my dining chairs and had to move them anytime I wanted to eter the kitchen. He fumed and begged for a week or two but then he calmed down. He also still had it in for my husband trying to crane over the barriers.

He also is not allowed to visit my office area at all.

He took to sleeping under the dining table, which was his way of appearing sad and poor...It was really funny. He looked like a beaten dog who never ate. One time I wanted to coral him to go to sleep and he hid under the table again. new tricks.

I also put all his food bowls in the old area, far corner away from kitchen or dining.

We also stopped petting him overly, or giving him treats, especially if he begged. He did not get any unless he was very calm and I would surprise him with treats instead, in one area only. After the "territory" transition time, he changed his behavior a lot.

He stopped almost completely with the stalking or posturing. He was instead more gentle and sociable. He now gets very angry only if he gets previously aggravated by an event like cleaning or much noise.

I believe that behavior is heavily influenced by boundaries and so we are keeping up with it. He learned to keep to his space and so I no longer use the chair barrier but will restart if I need to. he now never gets petter unless he is completely calm.

Will update if any other changes happen.
You need to out your husband above that bird. Saying the bird will never be an outside bird is doing just the opposite. Maybe your husband needs to put his foot down

Back
Top Bottom