OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

100 years ago sick birds/flocks weren't killed at the first hint of illness like they are today. If birds recovered they passed on their resistance and strong immune systems to future generations (just like the much hardier wild bird species do).
They also practiced natural vaccination, which is also practiced today for those who let broody moms raise chicks within the flock.

Hadn't heard of Wobblers Syndrome before.  The description matched my doberman's problem, when she was alive.  Thanks for posting the link, it's good information.  

I still believe that yearly vaccines are a scam, and that pet food is contaminated with diseased animals.

In pets, I would be forced to agree with you,..with exception ;)

I don't immunize anything except m kids and pets. Pets, we are talking cat and dog. Calves get 2 immunizations to prevent certain high mortality bovine pathogens. The dogs get a parvo and rabies vaccination, and cats get distemper and FIV. My kids are completely immunized, due to my doctor being a more insufferable debator than I ;)

I do those because if my area. Parvo, rabies, FIV, and the 2 bovine ones are for scours and Bangs (brucellosis). I have no need to immunize against anything else that my livestock wouldn't automatically get from antibodies in utero and during the first couple weeks of life, from mom.

I agree that SOME vaccines are scams, but we do still need some if them, to keep these pathogens in check. A good example; polio.

Polio would not have been defeated if we hadn't immunized, if course, it also still needs to be done, because NOW we can't pass on antibodies to our children, because we've never had it. So, immunization essential there or we will face a new mutated form of polio.

But you won't get me near thise stupid flu shots lol... There's a scam if I've ever seen one :p

Last edited:
I'm going to throw my 2 cents worth here...

DISCLAIMER: RN, advanced training in microbiology & infection control

I'm cautiously optimistic that these changes in the FDA will lead to less discriminant antibiotic use. I do like the convenience of being able to buy almost any antibiotic & wormer I could want/need at my local farm store, I use them only as needed when there is a true medical need. I do my own fecal float tests & only worm when/if there are worms/eggs present & only treat for those seen. Antibiotics - they have a place & time for use. Just like in humans - bacterial infections sometimes need to be treated with antibiotics. Unfortunately with food animals (if you raise meat/dual source birds) you then have a choice to make: are you willing to eat a bird that has been treated with a short term episode of antibiotics or do you now have a new life-long pet. Also, you need to know which antibiotic to use for what. Great rule of thumb - don't hit with the heavy hitter when a lower level antibiotic will work for the pathogen. Use for a full course & don't miss doses, but don't do back to back runs or a shotgun approach. Have a general clue what you are treating.

In my personal flock, I do use antibiotics as needed, very discriminately. We do have an avian vet here but he is quite $$$$. I've consulted with him once to the tune of $300. It will be a rare case that I do that again. I'm lucky that I have the education & tools to diagnose a lot of things myself. I've used antibiotics only twice, for very limited episodes. I've wormed only once for confirmed worms in fecal floats.

I do think that the overall health practices of your flock have a major impact - as others have stated. I use high quality feed, fermented to provide good gut nutrition. I maintain good cleanliness in the coop/run; lots of fresh air; clean water (love my chicken fountain!) sunlight; darkness at night (also as important as sunlight); mental stimulation; and human interaction.

I'm a firm believer in vaccines in humans and pets. Spacing is important & I'm glad the pet vaccines are now multi-year. After seeing deaths from the Flu, we make sure to get our flu shot yearly. Herd immunity is important as not all of the population CAN get immunized. As far as my flock, we have a high mosquito area - so I do the pox vaccine as well a marreck vaccine.

Thanks for intelligent and civil adult conversation on this important topic. I will be picking up some antibiotics and other supplies before they are gone!

Last edited:
Back to the main subject; and excuse me but I haven't read the government pages yet of antibiotics that will be affected, but isn't this legislation for poultry meds. only and fish, sheep, etc. antibiotics will still be able to be purchased OTC, and I should add to only be used when absolutely necessary?
Nope. This is not targeting poultry. The initiative is for vet med - food and water additives - for antibiotics also used for humans. The medications will require RX to purchase and no longer be available over the counter in feed stores or retailed online and the like. Injectables are not included - yet.

I would step up my search for a veterinarian, and would drive up to 1 hour away. If no vet available, convince a local vet to do a gram stain. I would not guess which antibiotic to use, as I am doing now, and do not like it. I am currently searching for vet.

Find your state's veterinary school, or the nearest, that will have a path. lab, and talk to their poultry expert, or get a recommendation for someone at that level. In Michigan, we have such a place and Dr. Fulton there, who's wonderful. When in doubt, find the best! Birds and samples can be shipped, if the drive is far. Mary

This is one from a deceased duckling that I had necropsied at CAHFS lab. The point of posting this is so people can see how tricky it can be picking an effective antibiotic for a food animal.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom