OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think steroid use in food animals has ever been legal.

-Kathy
You're not wrong. That's why I was very surprised when she told me that. As far as I knew it hasn't been used and has been discontinued for decades. Makes me wonder what the "real" truth is. Perhaps she was mistaken when she told me that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think steroid use in food animals has ever been legal.

-Kathy

You're not wrong. That's why I was very surprised when she told me that. As far as I knew it hasn't been used and has been discontinued for decades. Makes me wonder what the "real" truth is. Perhaps she was mistaken when she told me that.

I know very little about what drugs they use in food animals.

-Kathy

-Kathy

Actually Kathy, growth hormones and steroid use us alarmingly prevalent in the beef industry... NOT ME!!!! :p

But beef for SURE use steroids, not only legally, but the dairy industry almost went down the tubes because if it.

I'd post links, but at the moment, hands full with ornery kids ;)

-Kathy

Actually Kathy, growth hormones and steroid use us alarmingly prevalent in the beef industry... NOT ME!!!! :p

But beef for SURE use steroids, not only legally, but the dairy industry almost went down the tubes because if it.

I'd post links, but at the moment, hands full with ornery kids ;)

No worries... The two links I posted explain the use of them in the beef industry.

-Kathy

Thank you for the links. It has been very informative. After reading them I got to thinking. Since she ran both chickens and cattle that perhaps when we were talking about the chickens and feed that she may have mixed the two up (innocent mistake if that's what happened as she was getting ready to feed cows after our conversation). If that were the case then I have been unfortunately misinformed all these years
hu.gif
. At least I got it straight now.
thumbsup.gif

So glad I wrote that post and got your replies. Else I would have still been believing that there were steroids in chicken feed. Better to be corrected then continuing to believe something false.

Thanks again,

Free Spirit

They were meat birds.

Meat birds are not bred to live to adulthood, they are bred to reach adult weight in 2-3 months. Even if the chick had been on an organic diet from day one he/she still would have grown freakishly fast and likely died within a few months. Their muscles grow to the extent that the bird can't move around and can even get gangrene in the muscle tissue. The farmer lady should have told you that when she let you keep the bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom