Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

These are my partridge silkies that I have had for about a month. I was told they are 6 months old hens. I love them, they are so soft!, but I have a couple questions if you guys can help me. The bigger lighter colored one is a jerky lol She picks on the smaller one and when I go to sit with them she like tries to fight me. She walks by me and I pet her and she'll puff up her chest and stretch her neck and peck at me. I gently push her back her up some\ and laugh. It cracks me up but I was wondering if there is away to make her nicer. Also, they have some feathers that like stick together/dirty I was wondering if I should put some loose dirt in there for them so they can dirt bathe??? or if there's some other way.
Are you planning cross-breeding Silkies with that Roo in the pen? You want cross-breeds? If you want sweet birds it takes handling them preferably sitting down or crouching and using treats. I have two Silkie hens and they take turns being peckish with each other or with other chickens. Practice handling/picking them up in the judge's hold - takes a little time for chicken and human to get accustomed to it. And, yes, all chickens like soft, turned-over, fine dirt, for dust-bathing.

Thanks a lot. I love the partridge and they don't seem to get the recognition that they deserve. I know partridge is 1 of those varieties that seems open to the interpretation of the judge at the shows and the people that breed them. That's why I would like to see pictures of other partridge Silkies. It would be great to see some that have done well at shows.
[/quote

We are looking to buy a partridge or 2. Do have or know anyone that has some for sale?

Are you planning cross-breeding Silkies with that Roo in the pen?  You want cross-breeds?  If you want sweet birds it takes handling them preferably sitting down or crouching and using treats. I have two Silkie hens and they take turns being peckish with each other or with other chickens.  Practice handling/picking them up in the judge's hold - takes a little time for chicken and human to get accustomed to it.  And, yes, all chickens like soft, turned-over, fine dirt, for dust-bathing.

It turns out the jerky one was a rooster lol I was going to cross breed but not anymore

Someone on the silkie forum told me maybe partridge? Any thoughts on this?

So, I just wanted to post this picture of my Partridge Silkie mix. I'm pretty sure now he is a rooster, but his name is Roshashannah, so I can always hope he (she?) is a girl.

Shani, as I call HER is half Partridge Silkie x half Dalmatian bantam, so I believe. However, it is difficult to be sure with so many young roosters having been around at the time, as well as a few adults. Shani had five toes, grey skin, a crest, and feathered legs like her mother and also came from an egg I believe was laid by Princess (the partridge silkie). However, her partridge coloring seems to have a lot of grey in it, with only the shine of red when the lighting is right. Her crest is partially grey but otherwise her neck is mostly white. Her partridge feathers seem almost to be barred, similar to her half sisters.

I love her coloring, but I've got to wonder something what genetics caused it. The roosters that could have been the fathers included a Silver Sebright and my "Dalmatian" bantam roo (part while silkie, part pyle OEGB and part Silver Sebright). I also had gotten rid of a Silver Duckwing OEGB rooster a couple months ago that I have to wonder if the hens kept carrying his genetics for a little while after he left, since I don't see why I would be getting partridge otherwise.

Here he/she is. The two other chicks with similar coloring do not have nearly so bold striping on the feathers, but softer grey with white dots at the end and white necks, like her. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they grow up to look like.

Hi silkie people! I just recently got my first chicks,3 silkies and a D'uccle. Here is my partridge chick :)

Two weeks ago

And today

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom