Peachicks Not Eating

Sunken eyes are a sign of dehydration. Can you go to a vet and get a size 8 french catheter and I'll teach you how to tube? How old is it now?

-Kathy

Finely cut grass .... they can't resist!
When they are as sick as this one is, I doubt that feeding it grass will help. What this chick needs ASAP is fluids. Sunken eyes are a sign that the chick is very dehydrated, and hydration *must* be corrected before feeding. Feeding a dehydrated chick, bird, or animal can kill it. -Kathy

This picture should help tell how dehydrated a bird is:

If this chick were mine I would give it subcutaneous fluids *and* oral fluids, but I understand most people don't have access to bags of fluids, so unless they can go to a vet, the only thing to do is tube fluids. The amount I would tube is 2-3 ml per 100 grams, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat if crop was clear or mostly clear, then again in 2-4 hours.

Note that chick *must* be warm before attempting to give fluids!

-Kathy

OK - Wow...I do not have access to a vet - particularly on a holiday weekend. I have been trying to give fluids and she mostly shakes her head when I do. She is eating mash which has a higher level of fluids than regular feed. I can try to force fluids more frequently. There was really no change today. I am aware of the caution required when putting liquid in their beaks (avoiding choking). Odd question - is it possible that the heat lamp is leaching moisture from her?

OK - Wow...I do not have access to a vet - particularly on a holiday weekend.  I have been trying to give fluids and she mostly shakes her head when I do.  She is eating mash which has a higher level of fluids than regular feed.  I can try to force fluids more frequently.   There was really no change today.  I am aware of the caution required when putting liquid in their beaks (avoiding choking).  Odd question - is it possible that the heat lamp is leaching moisture from her?  

If its not panting then I would say no on the heat lamp. Just ensure that adequate "get away" space is offered,
1f44d.png
1f1fa-1f1f8.png

Gerald Barker

To answer the question about "Thiamine's" age...she hatched last Wednesday or Thursday, so a solid week.

Question - is offering bits of watermelon a good idea or bad idea (additional AND TASTY! fluids)?
How is she today? The fact that she was no worse when you last posted may be a good sign?

If you don't know how to tube water into a bird, you can use an eye dropper or an insulin syringe, (one of those skinny 1ml syringes.) Because there is an air hole at the back of the tongue and the food and water hole is at the back of the throat, if you make sure to get the liquid under the tongue, it will dribble back to the right hole. Adult birds are so much easier to work with than chicks, so you may need someone to hold her as you stick the tip of the syringe or dropper tip under the tongue.

And yes, watermelon is a wonderful way to get fluids into them since it is nearly all water. Over time it can be so sweet and if fed for long periods can bring up a yeast infection from all the sugars. However for a couple of days just to get her hydrated and on the road to healing, I would push the watermelon.

Let us know how she is today! :)

Thiamine is about the same, maybe slightly better this morning. Eyes still look a bit sunken, but she was not listless. She had her Selenium and Thiamine and I put Save-a-Chick in watermelon juice, which she voluntarily drank. I would estimate she drank 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of the juice. Then I took a sliver of watermelon and cut it up into little pieces and she ate that. I am going to go out in a few minutes and try to get some more water in her. Then I will give her some egg. Her legs and feet look fine - not shriveled! It seems like she gets more food in her than the other 2 chicks (every time I go in, I get a tablespoon of egg and/or mash down Thiamine's gullet, but the other two just seem to be walking around, occasionally pecking at food. Mom keeps a close eye on them!), but her crop never feels full at all. But, so far, a good day I think! I can give her a lot of attention today and tomorrow, so I will really push the fluids!

Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom