Peachicks Not Eating

Thiamine is about the same, maybe slightly better this morning. Eyes still look a bit sunken, but she was not listless. She had her Selenium and Thiamine and I put Save-a-Chick in watermelon juice, which she voluntarily drank. I would estimate she drank 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of the juice. Then I took a sliver of watermelon and cut it up into little pieces and she ate that. I am going to go out in a few minutes and try to get some more water in her. Then I will give her some egg. Her legs and feet look fine - not shriveled! It seems like she gets more food in her than the other 2 chicks (every time I go in, I get a tablespoon of egg and/or mash down Thiamine's gullet, but the other two just seem to be walking around, occasionally pecking at food. Mom keeps a close eye on them!), but her crop never feels full at all. But, so far, a good day I think! I can give her a lot of attention today and tomorrow, so I will really push the fluids!

Thanks again for all the help!
This is great news! Sometimes when they are really bad off, it takes a few days for their bodies to catch up with all the vitamins. So the fact that she is even a tad better today is great!! She won't start stuffing her crop until she feels really good. It can take them days after they even appear healed to start wolfing food down. But it sounds like she sure is trying!!

Keep up with ALL you are doing!! She just might pull through this!! Keeping ALL my fingers and toes crossed!!
fl.gif

Keep us updated!
smile.png

No change today - and I delivered the chick to my friend who will take care of Thiamine while I am gone. Still looks dehydrated. But because I waited to feed and water her this morning until I had brought her (so I could show my friend everything), she actually ate the egg by herself from the spoon. Woo Hoo!! I am not seeing improvement, but I don't think she has declined, either. I will let you know how the week went when I get home (next Monday). Again, I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm in suggestions and information and support! Even if Thiamine doesn't make it, I have learned a lot from this experience and feel comfortable that we tried and did the best thing. Fingers crossed! And if I get any info while I am gone, I will try to figure out how to update you...

No change today - and I delivered the chick to my friend who will take care of Thiamine while I am gone. Still looks dehydrated. But because I waited to feed and water her this morning until I had brought her (so I could show my friend everything), she actually ate the egg by herself from the spoon. Woo Hoo!! I am not seeing improvement, but I don't think she has declined, either. I will let you know how the week went when I get home (next Monday). Again, I really appreciate everyone's enthusiasm in suggestions and information and support! Even if Thiamine doesn't make it, I have learned a lot from this experience and feel comfortable that we tried and did the best thing. Fingers crossed! And if I get any info while I am gone, I will try to figure out how to update you...
I will be keeping my fingers crossed she holds out and makes a full recovery. Some chicks don't make it no matter how much care you give them.

But yes, anytime a bird is sick, there is no much knowledge to be gained in the attempt to save them. This is how we learn.

Keep us posted and I will be anxious to hear how she is when you return! :)

I sent you a PM with my phone number so if your friend gets stuck they have someone to call.

-Kathy

A week has past and I am home. I just picked up the peachick from my friend who has been taking care of her for the last week. She contacted me mid-week to give me an update that, although they did still have to "force" her to drink (she will NOT drink on her own), she is eating more independently (though not a lot). So that was good. As I said, I just got her and brought her back. She is still thin. Her eyes are perhaps not as sunk in as they were, but I would say she isn't getting enough liquids. She has grown! Her wings still hang on both sides (the bottom few feathers seem to have separated from the others and hang down). Her head bobbing is still evident, and she turns in clock-wise circles A LOT. She seems startled a lot. While I was getting all her stuff out of the car, I did put her on the coop floor with the mother and 2 other chicks. That wasn't the bonding experience I had hoped for - Mama just pecked her head rather hard a couple of times and the chicks were not interested.

So - although she has grown and seems to eat more independently, I don't think there is any real improvement.

Casportpony and TwoCrows...I highly respect your opinions...should I cull? I don't feel there was enough improvement to say, "Hey, things are getting better!". I will not be able to give it the attention it probably needs multiple-times DAILY - some days yes, but not EVERYDAY. It is all alone and not with the other chicks or the peahen. If you think I should stick it out longer, I can, but I am not feeling all that optimistic. And I should say that although I will probably need to find someone to do the deed, I am not heartbroken. My plan is to sell the chicks as I am content with my adult pair, and I can't sell this chick in this condition!! Thoughts? Thanks for sticking with me!

A week has past and I am home. I just picked up the peachick from my friend who has been taking care of her for the last week. She contacted me mid-week to give me an update that, although they did still have to "force" her to drink (she will NOT drink on her own), she is eating more independently (though not a lot). So that was good. As I said, I just got her and brought her back. She is still thin. Her eyes are perhaps not as sunk in as they were, but I would say she isn't getting enough liquids. She has grown! Her wings still hang on both sides (the bottom few feathers seem to have separated from the others and hang down). Her head bobbing is still evident, and she turns in clock-wise circles A LOT. She seems startled a lot. While I was getting all her stuff out of the car, I did put her on the coop floor with the mother and 2 other chicks. That wasn't the bonding experience I had hoped for - Mama just pecked her head rather hard a couple of times and the chicks were not interested.

So - although she has grown and seems to eat more independently, I don't think there is any real improvement.

Casportpony and TwoCrows...I highly respect your opinions...should I cull? I don't feel there was enough improvement to say, "Hey, things are getting better!". I will not be able to give it the attention it probably needs multiple-times DAILY - some days yes, but not EVERYDAY. It is all alone and not with the other chicks or the peahen. If you think I should stick it out longer, I can, but I am not feeling all that optimistic. And I should say that although I will probably need to find someone to do the deed, I am not heartbroken. My plan is to sell the chicks as I am content with my adult pair, and I can't sell this chick in this condition!! Thoughts? Thanks for sticking with me!
If you have the time and energy I say keep at it, maybe learn how to tube fluids? Can you weigh it?

-Kathy

I weighed the peachick today, and I got 91 grams. I offered some tiny bits of watermelon in a lot of juice (watered down with the fortified water) in a small dish and she drank that pretty well (voluntarily) - at least a tablespoon, I would say (and ate the bits of watermelon). She ate about 2 tablespoons of egg and mash so far today. But the head bobbing is really bad - almost like spasm. And when she is in the box she spins around a lot. They are 3 weeks old tomorrow, I believe. Her little crown feathers (that is what I call them) have pushed through, but I don't see them on the other 2 chicks yet.

Little Thiamine is lucky to have so many helpers!
clap.gif

I hadn't read this thread before but now that I have I'm wondering if she might be partially/fully blind? Birds who can't see or can't see well often make this kind of jerky or rotating head movement, and it may explain some not eating or drinking if she can't see the food/drink or has a hard time finding it.

This is totally your decision. I completely understand the need to cull if you don't have the time to devote to her. I KNOW how much time and mental energy it takes to keep birds alive, it can be exhausting! I have gone both ways. Generally I keep at it until they are about dead or I can really tell they are suffering. And other times when I just know in my heart there is no saving them, I put them down.

If she were my bird and I was in this position....I would take a good hard look at her....has she made ANY improvements this past week. Does she have that spark in her eyes that yes, momma I want to live? These are the things I look for. If they still have that look, I keep going. If there has been no improvement to a bird after weeks on end of my 110% care and they have that look in their eyes as if to say, I don't think I can go on, I will put them down or have someone else put them down. I have put them down myself but do prefer a vet to do it if one is available.

I know how hard this is. I have been through this many times and don't care for it. One negative side of keeping poultry. But the joy does outweigh all the sorrow.

Good luck with this, we are here for you if you need us.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom