Peacock chick bloated with air

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad Puff is doing so well. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about peafowl, but they are certainly beautiful birds. Good luck with your flock.

Another update. Puff is doing awesome. Here is a picture of her or him.

So nice to see s/he is doing so much better
clap.gif

Please keep up dated from time to time as it is rare we ever hear back on the progress
love.gif

Hi, I'm new to this site and am slowly finding my way around it. I have 3 peacock eggs under a chicken, due to come out 28th November 2014. I'd never heard of bloating and dont know if I could do this procedure if that problem occurs. My Hen is a young first time mamma and Im hopeful that she can care for these babies. I live in rural QLD Australia and we are having a heat wave at the moment. Ive had to re-locate the nesting box to my laundry room to protect them from predators. Can you give me any advice. Ive had chicken chicks before and had successes but how will baby peacock/hens differ? Thankx

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you, its been hectic lately with the cold coming. Anyhow, peachicks can be fragile. Make sure they stay warm but not too warm. Mom will take care of them. Bloat is very noticeable. They become round due to the air trapped inside them. I thought the same thing you do about being able to take care of the bloat. But it is very simple. I just took a catheter and poke her near the leg. And did this a couple of times. The last time, I just held her in my hands and it helped the air sack seal. And now Puff is doing well and is now outside with the chickens in a pen until she gets much bigger. I did loose a couple of the babies due to a bacterial infection, but as soon as I found out one of my chicks had it, I did some research and found out that white vinegar in their water helps get rid of the bacteria and causes the intestinal track to be more acidic to kill the bacteria. I kept them on it for 8 days and they are doing great. Will work on peachicks as well. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I will be checking my Backyard Chickens account now that I have the app on my i-phone.
Thanks
fergyc2l2t316

Thankz for ur reply but sadly none of the eggs hatched. I doubt I will try it with peacock eggs again. Perhaps I will have to borrow a rooster to get her some fertile eggs.

So Sorry to hear about the eggs. But don't give up. They are priceless birds, and it just takes time and patience. Let me know if you are going to try again. Also, where did you get the eggs?

Just a update on Puff our peahen. She is doing great and is living outdoors with all the other birds. Looking for peacock eggs so that she can have some friends to hang out with besides chickens and ducks. Here's an updated picture sitting on her dads arm. They love each other, it's ridiculous. LOL

Her best side.
lau.gif

Thnx, I got them from a friend in the area who has 1 peacock and 2 hens in an enclosure for their protection against predators but having read up about it, I am tending to suspect that the enclosure is way too small and perhaps they may have been unable to mate. If I can get my chookyard fence made higher and netted over the top, I'll ask if I can take them to my place for a time.

Back
Top Bottom