Peck-O-Matic anyone tried this?

I've been seeing ads for the peck-o-matic pop up on my facebook page. I was curious, because my hens currently waste a lot of feed. Thanks to all of you who have posted comments and shared ideas. You-all have me thinking.

ETA: I really like that feeder made from the yogurt container. I'd like to make something that but it seems too small for my needs. Maybe I could find a larger/taller container, or make more than one...
As I was mulling it over, I decided that if the peck-o-matic would save 1/3 of the feed from being lost, it would pay for itself in less than 1 year. While watching the youtube videos, I saw that they use it for ducks too. My sister and niece raise ducks for eggs. (my sister sees it as a business, my niece sees the ducks as pets.) I realized that if I ordered 2, it would save significantly on the shipping, so I went ahead and ordered 2.
Ya, there are a lot of peckomatic videos in youtube. The most interesting video is ducks using Peckomatic Feeder in water.

I have had my Peck-O-Matic feeder hanging in the coop for a few months now. I really like it. At first my girls were afraid of it, but now they love it. I think there is less waste, and I haven't had problems with bugs or mice getting into the feed, like it did in my old feeder. I I never saw the mice, but I could tell see that something had been cracking the sunflower seeds and leaving shells. I know it wasn't my chickens.

I originally obtained a bucket from the kitchen at work to use, but it turns out it was just slightly too small in diameter to work, so I broke down and bought a bucket to use.
I really like this feeder.

We have a pocomatic as well. Very easy to put together. Chickens learned how to use it in just a few minutes. We did have to change the reccomeded washer to one with a larger diameter hole, but that took a minute or so.
We put a hole in the lid and with a piece of pvc pipe and 2 45% angles, we can fill it from outside the coop.
More than pleased.

Can this be used with flocks of 25 chickens? Do I need 2? I am concerned that those lower on the pecking order are going to starve! Right now I have a 4 foot PVC trough with 4 4" pvc tubes that are filled with layer feed.

I use these in my meat bird tractors. One 5 gallon bucket for 15 birds. There's always someone eating and the growth rate was fine. Wouldn't go to more birds per feeder, personally.

Super late to this thread (new user) but I've been using Peck-o-matic's for over 2 years now and I really enjoy them. The birds are super quick to learn how to use use them and it cuts down on feed waste. BUT, most importantly I love it because it lets me set up automatic feeders for long periods of time. I live in NY where the winters can get really cold and snowy and since I have a huge number of birds feeding in the winter used to be a giant headache for me. Now, i just set up peck-o-matics in every coop/pen and I've gone from trudging through the snow every week carrying heavy feed bags to feeding once a month in the winter. I love it!

I have a free hack to do the same thing. Get a free paint can opener, the one you can open a bottle with drill hole in bottom of bucket and drop opener in it big side up, paint the part that sticks out red. It will jiggle the food and allow it to drop down as they peck it. Likely have to experiment with hole size start small and go bigger until it works with your feed.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom