Pekin Duck Club!

So I went out to the "pond" this morning with some bread that was starting to stale. I call it a pond because as of yesterday it is no longer a pool, just a giant hole in the ground... The ducks couldn't have cared less. The chickies ate it up, but the duckies just looked at me like I was an idiot. Aren't they supposed to like bread pieces??? At least I have almost 4 pounds of frozen peas. That should get me back on their good side. P

So I went out to the "pond" this morning with some bread that was starting to stale. I call it a pond because as of yesterday it is no longer a pool, just a giant hole in the ground... The ducks couldn't have cared less. The chickies ate it up, but the duckies just looked at me like I was an idiot. Aren't they supposed to like bread pieces??? At least I have almost 4 pounds of frozen peas. That should get me back on their good side. P

You really shouldn't be feeding ducks bread, it's pretty bad for them

o

Some ducks like bread but most don't, it's not good for them. Especially when it's stale, that's good for the trash only! Plus, don't feed your chicks to much white bread as it has no good nutrients for them "nor for us". Your better off feeding them anything other than white! But, now you know. Your heart was in the right place.

Last edited:
Sweet! My four pekins are four weeksbold
smile.png
they are runnin bbn around outside right now. Can you tell the gender by the color of their bills? And what should I be feesing them? The teenagers at my farm supply stoee know NOTHING!
hmm.png
So frustrating. Ill post picture when my como starts working again

Non-medicated chick starter is good for the first few weeks, then you can switch to a grower/flock raiser for the rest of their lives. To prevent waste, you can mix some water in it and make it like a wet mash food. Just start providing oyster shell on the side when they start laying eggs.
You can also feed them greens (romaine, arugula, kale, etc.), frozen, thawed peas (a favorite!), mealworms, and other chopped fruits and veggies - mine love watermelon on a hot day! Also, make sure they have access to grit - sand, small pebbles around the yard, etc.
As for the bills, can't really tell by that except that when the girls start laying, their bills' bright orange color will start to fade as they will take that color and put it all into the yolk of their eggs - pretty cool...

Wow, Thanks. I had this image in my head of senior citizens sitting by a duck filled pond throwing bread crumbs in. Maybe everything I learned on 'The Simpsons' isn't right at all.

Last edited:
Welcome!!! I love your Pekins names hah I would end up calling the little one Woodstock or another Peanuts character :).

P.S. I added you to the group! Feel free to post pics, stories, duck egg recipes, etc. :)
I would like to be addded to the duck club, Im have a 12 wweek old Pekin, named Quackers, he is quite a character, but even thoughh i handled her a lot as a duckling, she doesn't follow me around, she quacks at me, but otherwise she has two rhode island chicks that she brooded with, and they are inseparable! she loves me when i bring out the worms or the peas though!

I want to join the club too. I have 3 pekin ducks. The oldest two I've had 4 years Olivia and Pam. I had 2 drakes(Dexter and Sushi) that I rehomed. Pam hid a nest and I trie d to switch out the eggs but apparently missed one and so we have Joy who is now three. I tried to handle the 2 when young but not enough and they don't come to me. They do hang around me a few feet away when gardening so I throw worms and weeds to them.Joy I didn't handle so she won't come near me. Joy and her mother like to sit in the duck house on a double nest and poor Olivia is out alone all day. I'm going to try to give her peas and maybe she will get closer to me. I had pekin ducks as a child that were close pets.

Last edited:
I want to join the club too. I have 3 pekin ducks. The oldest two I've had 4 years Olivia and Pam. I had 2 drakes(Dexter and Sushi) that I rehomed. Pam hid a nest and I trie d to switch out the eggs but apparently missed one and so we have Joy who is now three. I tried to handle the 2 when young but not enough and they don't come to me. They do hang around me a few feet away when gardening so I throw worms and weeds to them.Joy I didn't handle so she won't come near me. Joy and her mother like to sit in the duck house on a double nest and poor Olivia is out alone all day. I'm going to try to give her peas and maybe she will get closer to me. I had pekin ducks as a child that were close pets.
Hi! Quackers has also devolped quite a love for grapes, she will literally run over the other hens to get the grapes. It is frustrating that she won't let me pet her or pick her up, but she does stay a few feet from me, and we dig for worms together also, and wild raspberries! How do you handle your pools for your ducks? I change hes everyday, didn't know if you had some helpful tips! Her fav treats are mealworms, buy them from Lowes, they are cheaper there, peas, corn, and now grapes! she eats chicken feed grower/finisher from TSC, got her duck pellets, but the hens ate more of those than she did. she loves a good mud puddle! so glad to have found this thread! enjoy your day with your ducks, hope joy and olivia soon start coming to you better!

Hi! Quackers has also devolped quite a love for grapes, she will literally run over the other hens to get the grapes. It is frustrating that she won't let me pet her or pick her up, but she does stay a few feet from me, and we dig for worms together also, and wild raspberries! How do you handle your pools for your ducks? I change hes everyday, didn't know if you had some helpful tips! Her fav treats are mealworms, buy them from Lowes, they are cheaper there, peas, corn, and now grapes! she eats chicken feed grower/finisher from TSC, got her duck pellets, but the hens ate more of those than she did. she loves a good mud puddle! so glad to have found this thread! enjoy your day with your ducks, hope joy and olivia soon start coming to you better!

Haha!

Back
Top Bottom