Pekin Duck Club!

Why not keep the drakes? It is suggested you have 3-5 female for every drake, OR have all females, OR have all drakes. Just have an all male flock.

I did think about that, we would have to pen the drakes seperately as they could kill chickens trying to mate with them. We were looking forward to duck eggs.... so adding three females would be fun, now just to get dear husband on board....our city ordinance allows 12 total fowel.

I have two females and a drake. My male is the sweetest guy ever. He lets me pick him up and snuggle him. One of my females is a "complainer" constantly chanting "drop it down" drop it down" with her head pointing to the ground over and over. My other female is smaller and very sweet but much quieter than my other female. My male is a baby doll though.. :0)

Last edited:

Good morning! This is Teddy our first Pekin duckling. We've had him/her for a couple of weeks. Could anyone tell me how old you think he is? Is there a way to tell by looking at him if he is a he or she? I'm not going to try the vent idea...his vocal sounds are not a "honk" like a girl but he's very vocal in his own way.

We recently got three older Pekins (3 months old) for Teddy so that he can join a flock. I can tell from vocalizations that we have one drake and two females. If Teddy is a drake, will there be a show-down for the ladies?

The three older Pekins are not interested in Teddy and chase him away. They have supervised visits in our large backyard. If Teddy stays at a comfortable distance, all is well. Problem is Teddy wants to be with them. We have a main pen for the three older with a side pen for Teddy. I'm noticing now that they all sit along the fence line and stare at each other. Hopefully, they are getting used to each other and not just standing their ground.

Thanks for any advice you could offer!
Trish

Mine looked like Teddy at about 4 to 5 weeks. He has most of his adult feathers, it looks like and is not yellowish anymore. I can't tell if he still has tiny little wings from the photo. This is a picture of my pekins at about 4 weeks.

As long as there is one female per drake, you may be okay. This group had 3 males and 2 females and were fine. Letting the ducks watch each other through the fence is good. When Teddy is grown, the ducks may have to sort out who is in charge, so there may be a bit of chasing and so forth. Or they might just accept Teddy with no problem when he's older. It's tough to say. Only my first year with ducks were any "incompatible" though I did have 4 males and 1 female this year so 3 males had to go.

Looks to me like Teddy's around 3-4 weeks old as I can still see all the fuzzies in the picture.
You should give him another week or two and his voice is gonna change. Then you should be more able to tell if he's a drake or hen. The drake feather will curl in around 4-5 months, after his first molt. Hope you enjoy your new babies!

My pekin drake always seemed and still seems to puff up a mini crest on his head like a muscovy drake, and so I began calling him frosty instead of elsa xD. Hes still the sweetest pet ever, though. Even sweeter than my dogs, (sorry guys lol)
@TrishC

Looks to me like Teddy's around 3-4 weeks old as I can still see all the fuzzies in the picture.
You should give him another week or two and his voice is gonna change. Then you should be more able to tell if he's a drake or hen. The drake feather will curl in around 4-5 months, after his first molt. Hope you enjoy your new babies!

Lol, Frosty s feather came in during his molt.

I dont have other recent ones xD

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom