Pheasant Chicken Hybrids

Pics
Hello , any new pics of your hybrids? Would love to see some more

I promise to get some new pics of the cheasants in the coming weeks. One is the size of a chicken and has developed small spurs, so I'm fairly sure it's a male. The other is the size of her pheasant mother ... probably female, but she has never laid any eggs. They have both gotten out of their pens, the male daily until I put him in a better enclosure, and they've always stayed around until I've penned them back up, so they're quite a bit more tame than a pheasant, which would have just flown away. I haven't heard the male make his call for a while ... maybe only in the Spring.

Here's the latest. I believe this first one is be a male. He's large and has spurs, and usually has a long tail. They're both in the middle of moulting so please excuse their feathers.

And this one I think is female.

You wouldn't know they were cheasants unless someone told you, that's a sneaky pair. ;) But I'm guessing should they live long enough some more obviously non-chook feathering is going to show.

Bit off topic... The one you think is male has got twisted leg scaling, I couldn't see the front of the one you think is female but she/he might also have it as it's a strong trait.

Might be no issue at all, and might be very hard to correct if it came from the pheasant side, but if it came from the chook side I'd watch that chook's offspring to see if there is an incidence of genetic spraddling, especially if crossed with a chook male with likewise skewed leg scaling, and if there is, I'd cull them both or just make a note not to breed them.

Just a thought, because some leg scaling defects appear static but others very progressive, haven't seen regressive leg scaling defects yet. It's either not getting worse, or it's getting worse rapidly, not getting better with each generation even when you try to breed it out... But, that's just my opinion based on my personal experience with bad leg scaling.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing them feather up more.

Best wishes.

thats pretty crazy that they can breed...i did online looking up and found out a chicken can breed with just about anything...i took my ringneck female and put them in with 25 new chickens and the small rooster mated with the ringneck...im better off just making some dinner out of them ringnecks...i was actually told they were a hybrid between a red golden and ringneck but come to find out that they were just reg ringnecks so i got them a male and set up a new pen and then the unthinkable happened when i added chickens....lol...a never ending battle to put up yet another pen...

So it is possible to cross a chicken with a pheasant? I have a few different breeds of pheasant and at least a dozen breeds of chicken. I could cross them, seriously?

You could, theoretically, but worth bearing in mind that for the many hundreds of thousands of keepers who keep pheasants, guineas, peawfowl, quail, turkeys etc with chickens, very, very, VERY few hybrids ever occur. All of those species can hybridize but very rarely do. Even when they're cross-specie-incubating which should sway the odds strongly in favor of hybridizing due to incorrect imprinting, odds are still unfavorable.

It's certainly not common, but also certainly not unheard of, and it's well documented, so definitely not a myth. Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out the unlikelihood of it happening.

Best wishes.

Well I might have a go at it this spring
big_smile.png

Good luck with it, as long as you're not wasting rare bloodlines or species of pheasant on it I can't imagine anyone would have a logical problem with it. Please post any successes you have. :)

Back
Top Bottom