Pictures of my Delaware Blue Cockeral **More pics added**

These are not "Delaware" chickens, they are a whole separate breed, actually not a recognized breed as of yet. They are a game bird and the state bird of Delaware. Here is some information on the breed:

The Blue Hen of Delaware is a breed of chicken that was adopted on April 14, 1939 as the state bird of Delaware. The University of Delaware mascot, known as YoUDee, is also modeled after the bird.

The reason behind the notoriety of this bird can be traced back to the Revolutionary War. On December 9, 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that a military battalion was to be raised from Delaware, then known as the Lower Counties on the Delaware. Thus, the Delaware regiment was born--a group composed of eight companies representing New Castle, Kent and Sussex Counties.

The second company was composed of men from Kent County and was under the command of Capt. John Caldwell, who was an avid fan and owner of gamecocks. The troops often amused themselves by staging cock fights with a breed known as the Kent County Blue Hen, recognizable for its blue plumage.

The renown of these chickens spread rapidly during the time when cock fighting was a popular form of amusement, and the "Blue Hens' Chickens" developed quite a reputation for ferocity and fighting success. Capt. Caldwell's company likewise acquired a considerable reputation for its own fighting prowess, in engagements with the British at Long Island, White Plains, Trenton and Princeton, and soon it was nicknamed "Caldwell's Gamecocks."

Capt. Caldwell's company was part of Col. John Haslet's first Delaware regiment that reported for duty near the outset of the American Revolution in January 1776. In August 1781, remnants of the regiment were still battling at Eutaw Springs, South Carolina. Although often referred to as "The Fighting Delawares," Haslet's regiment also won the nickname, "The Blue Hens' Chickens," and that name was formally adopted by the Delaware General Assembly in 1939 when the Blue Hen Chicken was named the official state bird.

The University of Delaware's College of Agriculture & Natural Resources maintains a breeding group of the Blue Hen Chicken on the campus farm.

The feistiness has been bred out of them and they can live fine with a mixed flock of chickens. As with any rooster, I am sure scuffles will happen. Caesar tries to mess with my cochin but quickly backs down....LOL..I guess he knows what is good for him..hehehee

I couldn't get any good pics of the girls yet today, we had a hawk swoop in this morning so they are leary to come out into the open. I will get some this evening at feeding time. I did get some good pictures of Caesar! He is a ham when it comes to the camera, he is a nosey box. I was trying to get a good picture of the pretty colors coming in on his neck..they didn't show up like I was seeing them..ol

524_picss_011.jpg

524_picss_012.jpg

524_picss_010.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, got some of the girls this afternoon! They are all different shades of blue, didn't get any pictures of Blackie 9the black one) Some of them wouldn't come out, but these girls I got! The one is the first pic is Cali. The lighter girl in pictures 2 and 3 is the same bird as is the one in pics 4 and 5. The lighter one is Sophie, the one in 4 &5 is Splash. The one in the picture #3 with Sophie is Tippy.

Picss015.jpg

Picss017-1.jpg

Picss019.jpg

Picss021.jpg

Picss020.jpg

Last edited:
Your flock is SOO beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.
jumpy.gif
You are going to have such fun when they start laying. And How cool that you have the state bird in your backyard!!!! To me, that is just really fascinating. Thanks again!!!
big_smile.png

Thank You Everyone!!

BeardedChick- They derived from Red Jungle Fowl, but that is all I know. Edited to add this:

The Blue Hen Chicken, (Gallus gallus) is native to Southern Asia, particularly the jungles of India. The Blue Hen Chicken spread all over the world when people domesticated the chicken. It’s plumage is gold, red, brown, dark maroon, orange, with a bit of metallic green and gray. There are also some white and olive feathers. Two white patches, shaped like an ear, appear on either side of the head. Gallus gallus can be distinguished from other chickens not only by these white patches, but also by the grayish feet

Sequin- Me too!! That's what drew me to them. The fact that they are the state bird and became well known in Kent County Delaware and I live in Kent County!! I don't know ..maybe I am just a dork..lol
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom