Pigeon Talk

I let my extra male (the third wheel) out while I was feeding today to give him a bit of time away from the nesting pair and a Cooper's came from behind me and over my head and whacked him while he was sitting on top of the loft. I was able to chase the hawk off before it did any damage to him but the pigeon took off and I haven't seen him since about noon, I'm hoping that he's off hiding somewhere and that he'll be back when its starts getting dark but I'm not so sure. I'd hate to lose yet another bird. I'm really hoping that when the weather starts getting consistently nice the hawk attacks will decrease, the Cooper's hawks in my area seem to be especially bold and fearless. :hmm
If there is a bright side to the situation, if he doesn't come back then I won't have to worry about making something to separate him in when I go away for a few days, and the pair can just have the run of the loft. The bad news would be that I would be left only with a single pair remaining. I'm probably going to have to get a few new squeakers soon to build my numbers back up and introduce some new blood to the loft.

I let my extra male (the third wheel) out while I was feeding today to give him a bit of time away from the nesting pair and a Cooper's came from behind me and over my head and whacked him while he was sitting on top of the loft. I was able to chase the hawk off before it did any damage to him but the pigeon took off and I haven't seen him since about noon, I'm hoping that he's off hiding somewhere and that he'll be back when its starts getting dark but I'm not so sure. I'd hate to lose yet another bird. I'm really hoping that when the weather starts getting consistently nice the hawk attacks will decrease, the Cooper's hawks in my area seem to be especially bold and fearless. :hmm
If there is a bright side to the situation, if he doesn't come back then I won't have to worry about making something to separate him in when I go away for a few days, and the pair can just have the run of the loft. The bad news would be that I would be left only with a single pair remaining. I'm probably going to have to get a few new squeakers soon to build my numbers back up and introduce some new blood to the loft.
Aww man. That stinks. I know you want to let them out for a break, but that is a dangerous thing for pigeon breeders to do. The coopers will learn your schedule. So please don't do it with your pair now! You can't lose another.

Aww man. That stinks. I know you want to let them out for a break, but that is a dangerous thing for pigeon breeders to do. The coopers will learn your schedule. So please don't do it with your pair now! You can't lose another.
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to let either of those two out. Before today I was down to three and I had been taking the extra guy out because while the other cock was busy on the nest the hen actually started getting aggressive to him too and chasing him into the aviary constantly. I would never let the breeding ones out but he was the third wheel in a sense. I thought I was doing him a favor.
He was a bit reluctant to go off on his own but he would flap around me and land on the fence and I thought he would be relatively safe. This particular morning I had him out and he was on the roof of the loft while the pair were inside eating and I was raking under the loft when the hawk came. As far as I could tell he was unharmed because while the hawk hit him and knocked him over the fence I was on it in seconds and the pigeon got away, hopefully he'll come back.

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to let either of those two out. Before today I was down to three and I had been taking the extra guy out because while the other cock was busy on the nest the hen actually started getting aggressive to him too and chasing him into the aviary constantly. I would never let the breeding ones out but he was the third wheel in a sense. I thought I was doing him a favor.
He was a bit reluctant to go off on his own but he would flap around me and land on the fence and I thought he would be relatively safe. This particular morning I had him out and he was on the roof of the loft while the pair were inside eating and I was raking under the loft when the hawk came. As far as I could tell he was unharmed because while the hawk hit him and knocked him over the fence I was on it in seconds and the pigeon got away, hopefully he'll come back.
keep us posted when\if he comes back.

Oh dear, I hope he comes back! Or at least didn’t become hawk dinner. :(

Back
Top Bottom