Pigeon Talk

@WVduckchick so sorry for your loss :(
@biophiliac @CCUK I got a question, for the bob wire trap, is it better fir the birds jump through it, or is it better for them to walk straight thru? Like, should there be a drop off so that when they go through, they land 12 inches down or so?
Mine has a drop off but it also has two perches in the corner within about 8 inches of the trap and I've noticed that sometimes the dominant cock bird (who of course claimed those ones) would harass the others and prevent/slow them from coming in.

Sad to report that I lost little Chance today. :(
He seemed good this morning, I tube fed him, and left him inside while I was gone to work. Came home and he seemed to be feeling pretty good, moving around, squeaking, so I took him outside for a while. Mom and dad were both feeding him, and even seemed to be standing guard at the door while I was outside. About an hour later, I went out to check, and he was laying down, seemed to be gasping, so I brought him inside. His wounds from yesterday were not bothered anymore, so it wasn’t additional pecking, but I guess they were just too much from yesterday. I warmed him up, and he just quietly stopped moving and breathing. :(
Im sooo sorry! :hugs:hugs

**POLL UPDATE -- The folks that voted over a week will probably be correct. The first one is on its way today! :wee

Of course, we'll have to wait for the second one, but I don't think they plan to take her early, she is due on the 19th.
:celebrate Prayers for a safe delivery and healthy mom and baby! :hugs

I have had two birds wiggle and knock the bobs and make good their escape!
That is what has been crossing my mind. The Houdini Factor. I would think a 4 inch drop is enough to prevent escape. I still like the Sputnik design, which I had.:thumbsup Maintenance free. Not always applicable to every Loft Design.

**POLL UPDATE -- The folks that voted over a week will probably be correct. The first one is on its way today! :wee
Is there a Consolation Prize for not being Soooo Right. :hit Caveman too honest to sneak in and cheat/change vote. I voted 2 days. In my FAMILY CIRCLE I am almost GUARANTEED to get things WRONG when it comes to GUESSING anything related to babies. Gender, Arrival, ETC.
Sending BEST WISHES to the new arrivals and all family associated. :love

That is what has been crossing my mind. The Houdini Factor. I would think a 4 inch drop is enough to prevent escape. I still like the Sputnik design, which I had.:thumbsup Maintenance free. Not always applicable to every Loft Design.

Is there a Consolation Prize for not being Soooo Right. :hit Caveman too honest to sneak in and cheat/change vote. I voted 2 days. In my FAMILY CIRCLE I am almost GUARANTEED to get things WRONG when it comes to GUESSING anything related to babies. Gender, Arrival, ETC.
Sending BEST WISHES to the new arrivals and all family associated. :love

Oh gosh, I forgot to let you all know. Baby boy arrived at 11:27 am yesterday April 3rd. 5lbs11oz. :ya
Momma, baby, and family all doing well!

In the second week of May I'll be going out of state for four or five days to visit some family. By then assuming all goes well the two squabs will be several weeks old.
I'm thinking I'm going to set up a hanging chicken feeder and waterer in the loft so that the pair can eat and feed their young at their whim. I'm also planning on building two small breeding cages, (probably 18x24x18 boxes) that can serve a dual purpose as an isolation cage or one for sick/injured birds. I also plan on sticking the extra cock in one of those cages when I'm gone so that I can make sure he gets enough food and isn't being bullied.
As of now the two cocks are getting along pretty well, the dominant one is a good dad and after the hen gets off the nest when I feed in the morning he eats and takes her place and usually stays there til dark, so the only time the two cocks really run into each other is early in the morning. That being said I'd still rather keep them separate when I'm gone because if something were to happen it would probably happen when I was away! I'm going to have someone stop by once or twice to check in and change the waters. I'll probably get around to building those cages this weekend, and after they're done with this current batch of young I'll move the pair into one of them.

In the second week of May I'll be going out of state for four or five days to visit some family. By then assuming all goes well the two squabs will be several weeks old.
I'm thinking I'm going to set up a hanging chicken feeder and waterer in the loft so that the pair can eat and feed their young at their whim. I'm also planning on building two small breeding cages, (probably 18x24x18 boxes) that can serve a dual purpose as an isolation cage or one for sick/injured birds. I also plan on sticking the extra cock in one of those cages when I'm gone so that I can make sure he gets enough food and isn't being bullied.
As of now the two cocks are getting along pretty well, the dominant one is a good dad and after the hen gets off the nest when I feed in the morning he eats and takes her place and usually stays there til dark, so the only time the two cocks really run into each other is early in the morning. That being said I'd still rather keep them separate when I'm gone because if something were to happen it would probably happen when I was away! I'm going to have someone stop by once or twice to check in and change the waters. I'll probably get around to building those cages this weekend, and after they're done with this current batch of young I'll move the pair into one of them.

Sounds like a good plan!

One thing to keep in mind when going away.... make sure they can't turn feeders and waterers over, especially waterers. I have had occasions where they have turned a waterer over and it runs dry, when it would have been enough to last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom