Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

cbnovick

I can see why you are stumped. Those legs and body say cockerel, lack of wattles and no comb says pullet. Those nostril flares sure say cockerel. It is so adorable it will be cute no matter the sex. Nice color and front on that chick.
thanks everyone for your input...time will tell
big_smile.png

So far as lines, if a person got their starting birds from Joe Blow, that doesn't mean to me that it's Joe Blow's line unless I get the actual birds from that person. Once bred, the chicks are from the person I got them from. Often I've read how easy it is to mess up a line, that the trick is to keep that line good or improve it. Mine are from someone that got birds from more than one source to start, therefore I don't say they're from any other breeder but the one I got them from. In other words, the one that took those sometimes celebrated lines and combined them to get really great results.

Name dropping can be deadly. It can give breeders a black eye if you use their name in association with birds that might not really be up to that breeder's standards.

Thanks for saying this. It is something I have thought about quite a bit. So often though people want to know what line a bird is from. I often give the line they came from but rarely give a name as to who bred the bird. Although I am giving Don all the credit for the huge buff boys I have.
wink.png
I personally want my birds to be mine. I have hatched and raised the majority of my birds so I feel like they are mine but have other blood lines. Do I give credit to the person who sent me the eggs? Do I give credit to the original blood line? Or do I take all the credit if there is any to give? Do you understand what I am asking/saying? At what point do you stop giving credit to other breeders? I am still very new to this hobby so I like to know what line a bird came from and who bred it. For me it is a way of keeping track of who's who and what's what.

These are my random nonsensical thoughts and I have thought about this quite a bit. I need coffee...

This is how I see it. JMO now. I may get birds from Joe Schmoe but personally they are my line unless Joe Schmoe helps me pick which birds would be best to breed. If I pick alone, they are mine but parent stock came from Joe Schmoe. I may pick birds to breed that are along the quality of Joe Schmoe's and wouldn't want to tarnish his name like that. It is my line with genetics from Joe Schmoe.

that is where I was heading with my random thought process I think. It probably would have taken me 2 days and a million differently phrased sentences to get to that though.

That is my take on it as well. Sadly I've known of at least one breeder that has been at it for many years that hasn't gotten any credit from people selling birds out of their stock because one of the "names" that this breeder got a few from are more well known. Such it is with name dropping. Those wanting to sell birds and are in it for a buck usually drop names that they know are commonly known even if there were other breeders between, if you know what I mean.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this particular thread -as we just got our very first Orpingtons a few months ago. I purchased from a very reputable breeder, but for some reason, all 3 of my blues have not done well. Two died, and one is on her way out now. I have NO IDEA what is going on with them. All 3 have been female. I also got black and lavender pullets and cockerels and a blue cockerel from the same breeder and they are THRIVING. Very large. Very healthy. But the blue females have all stayed very small for some reason. The first one just dropped dead. We were completely shocked to find her one day. A few weeks later, we noticed the next one was not acting right. Then she became lame. I researched online and thought it might be Cocci, so I treated with Corid, but she still died. The gentleman that tests my birds didn't think it was Cocci because she never had a pasty butt and he said the Corid would have worked. Now, a month later, our last little blue lady has her feathers all poofed out and tail turned downwards. She's losing weight fast. We treated again with Corid, but she isn't getting well! I dusted every bird and cleaned the coops really well. She always has access to fresh food and clean fresh water. All other birds in the coop are perfectly fine. I'm beginning to wonder if it might be a genetic issue with Orpington blue females in particular. I've been raising various breeds of birds for five years now and have never had any get sick except these. Any thoughts or ideas on what it might be or what I can do to treat her? Thanks!

Hello everyone. I'm new to this particular thread -as we just got our very first Orpingtons a few months ago. I purchased from a very reputable breeder, but for some reason, all 3 of my blues have not done well. Two died, and one is on her way out now. I have NO IDEA what is going on with them. All 3 have been female. I also got black and lavender pullets and cockerels and a blue cockerel from the same breeder and they are THRIVING. Very large. Very healthy. But the blue females have all stayed very small for some reason. The first one just dropped dead. We were completely shocked to find her one day. A few weeks later, we noticed the next one was not acting right. Then she became lame. I researched online and thought it might be Cocci, so I treated with Corid, but she still died. The gentleman that tests my birds didn't think it was Cocci because she never had a pasty butt and he said the Corid would have worked. Now, a month later, our last little blue lady has her feathers all poofed out and tail turned downwards. She's losing weight fast. We treated again with Corid, but she isn't getting well! I dusted every bird and cleaned the coops really well. She always has access to fresh food and clean fresh water. All other birds in the coop are perfectly fine. I'm beginning to wonder if it might be a genetic issue with Orpington blue females in particular. I've been raising various breeds of birds for five years now and have never had any get sick except these. Any thoughts or ideas on what it might be or what I can do to treat her? Thanks!
How often do you worm your birds ? It is quite common to have some paralysis/ neurological problems after using Corid as it can cause a SERIOUS vitamin B niacin/thiamine deficiency. Were these pullets younger than the Black and Lavender birds ? I would dotbt thast this is a heredity problem. It sounds more like a management or parasite problem to me.

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get some Orpingtons. I'd like nice, quality, maybe even exhibition quality birds. Can anyone recommend some breeders for me? Thanks.

Try the UOC (United Orpington Club) for a member near where you live. There are some shows possibly near you just check out some of the listings in Poultry Press .

Back
Top Bottom