Post your exotic/domestic duck aviary/pool pics

The River 2 miles down the road from me is more fun than any pool

The concrete pool was a night mare getting done. Every time the guys started working on it, it would start raining. It was all hand mixed, poured, and formed. They got the bottom poured and had to wait a few days for it to set up so they could walk on it. Then it rained every afternoon for 2 weeks. I was ready to pull my hair out

Yes they are Chiloes. She is sterile or I have gotten to sterile drakes. She tries so hard. She will lay 2 clutches trying. This last time the drake stayed in the box with her but no babies

Last edited:
poor thing.
sad.png

Ok heres what i have so far.

The pen is 16x36. i used treated 4x4 spaced about 11ft6 apart on the sides and 7ft6 on the front/back

I got untreated 2x4's that i painted with left over paint i found in my barn that is supposed to be the same color of the house/barn/garage/shed but it is really light and is almost the color of Hottentotteal's pen.

I only have 1 more 4x4 to put in the ground before i need to go get some more 2x4's and plywood for the site barrier which i think I'm gonna put 1ft high.

48551_100_2788.jpg

48551_100_2791.jpg

48551_100_2790.jpg

48551_100_2786.jpg

I think that when i divide it into a domestic and exotic area that i might go ahead and divide it into three so each one is 16x12 that way i can have a exotic pen and 2 domestic pens to separate the different breeds during the night (they seem to stay apart during the day but the rouens try to breed the mallards in there night pen)

so there is the beginning of mine, keep posting your avairy pics though! i still need ideas for a pond and other landscaping inside the pens.
big_smile.png

exoticduckluvr, where do you get your pine needle hay/straw?

Last edited:
I love your set-up HottentotTeal, it gives a lot of inspiration. But, in the town where I live, they wouldn't allow it so close to a house.

I like yours, too, Exoticduckluvr. It would be great for larger yards.

haha, so they have there own little gangs. I can't tell is it East/west side kiddie pool plus the north or south or is it North/south kiddie pool plus the east or west. (if that makes any since
tongue.png
)
lau.gif

The "gangs" were started with my first batch, then I acquired an orphan, then I got the orphan a hen (so I thought), then I got another hen (which worked great). Sooooooo I have the 3 amigos (Bill, Jill and Sally), Skittles and Penny and (the one I thought was a hen...Donald Duck, the Rouen.

This is more/less what my "temporary" pen looks like now. I say temporary because i thought when i got my mandarins back in june that i would have a new avairy finished by now, but things seem to always get in the way of me working on it..... a lot.

48551_100_2613.jpg

disregard the date on the photo, stupid camera likes to go one the fritz some times.

this is just one side of the aviary, its divided in half for the mandarins and my other ducks witch get let out during the day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom