Powder . . . not Crumbles!

AlienChick

Crowing
Apr 9, 2010
Glasgow, KY
I bought a 50lb bag of grower CRUMBLES from a local store (never bought from them before).

The feed seems to be 90% POWDER and 10% crumbles.

The chickens are eating it, but I was a bit disappointed.

Did I get ripped off?

hmm.png

Happened to me once, I had to wet it for them to like it...a pain, but at least they ate it! Read the label very carefully, or ask next time.

I have that happen to me more than doz. times I have taken it back. ( dumor and flock raiser) Wish i can find blue seal here in south carolina.We have driven over 126 miles to find a different lot # and date on it. One store let us open the bags so see if they were bad or not. We ended up opening 6 bags they were all bad.

My first thought was "Did it get wet/damp? or Are there bugs in it?

I would return it and get the stuff you paid for.

Good luck,

Imp

I was out of town for a few weeks and my pet sitter bought the bag of feed.

I'm home now and the bag is half gone.

The feed is from a local Coop, and there is NO listing of ingredients; just their generic bag.

I was just so upset to discover a bag of powder.

The feed I usually purchase is crumbles and very little powder.

Anyway, I guess I'm a bit more relieved to hear that this happens often.

I'll definitely be more aware of what I buy in the future.

wink.png

So what I have isn't normal???? I also buy mine from a coop and it is in their generic bag b/c I order a smaller amount than it normally comes in. My first bag was about 75% powder and 25% crumbles. My chicks are 6 weeks old, and prefer the crumbles, and won't eat the powder, so I feel like I'm having to feed them way more than I should and am wasting most of it. When they are out free ranging, I spread the food on the ground, and after they eat the crumbles the dogs end up eating the rest. I've never had chickens before or bought feed before, so I had no idea there was anything wrong with it. I'm almost done with that bag, and have already purchased my second bag but haven't opened it yet. I don't have the receipt anymore, in case this bag is bad also.

Last edited:
It happens. I've noticed it more on bags at the bottom of the pallet at our feed store. Usually their bags of crumbles are good, occasionally not; same with layer pellets. If you care enough and have free time, take it back; if it happens a lot, try a different brand or store. If you're like me, just feed it and often the next one will be better.
smile.png

Yeah, Imp, that's exactly how my bag of crumbles looks that I usually buy.

This bag of powder from the Coop, however, looks like cornmeal.
sad.png

I did go out to my regular feed store and purchase a real bag of crumbles.

This bag of powder is 3/4 finished, so I'll just be glad when it's gone.

I'll keep that in mind, Nuzzy, about the bags at the bottom of the pallet. Good to know!
wink.png

I just purchased a bag of chick starter from Southern States and it was very powdery. My chicks eat it just fine though. I have 1 week olds and 12-13 week olds and they all like it.

Back
Top Bottom