Predator proofing

cindyloowhoo

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
For predator proofing under my coop, and in their run I was going to use chicken wire, then a layer of dirt over this, however, I read in a pamphlet that hardware cloth is better. According to that, chicken wire stretches. But I’m using (as all coops and runs I’ve seen) chicken wire for the sides and top of their outdoor area as well. If stretching is an issue, wouldn’t this be true for those areas as well? What’s best to keep out digging/burrowing critters?

Use hardware cloth. Chicken wire can keep chickens in, but not keep predators out. I recommend putting a hardware cloth skirt, about a foot wide around the perimeter of the coop to keep out digging predators.

Our coops have wood floors and for the runs..we bury the wire about 6" inches deep to deter predators. Hardware cloth is better than chicken wire for security and would probly last longer. Predators can break/chew through chicken wire. Our chickens go into the coop at night and we lock them down. We have all the predators, fox, coyote,skunk possum, hawks, falcons and coons! From experience..im not a fan of chicken wire. And having wood floors, which completey secures the coop is about the only way I can keep predators out.

For predator proofing under my coop, and in their run I was going to use chicken wire, then a layer of dirt over this, however, I read in a pamphlet that hardware cloth is better. According to that, chicken wire stretches. But I’m using (as all coops and runs I’ve seen) chicken wire for the sides and top of their outdoor area as well. If stretching is an issue, wouldn’t this be true for those areas as well? What’s best to keep out digging/burrowing critters?
1/2 inch hardware cloth will keep raccoons from reaching through and ripping your birds heads off. Also weasels can fit through a quarter sized whole and rats can fit through chicken wire.

Chicken wire is meant to keep chickens in, not predators out.

Depends on your predator load... When I lived in Bakersfield... no wire or even door shut at night in my city back yard. But now in the beautiful Pacific Northwest... predators abound... and if you've had a scalped duck or any other nighttime visitors... the safety that comes from the hardware cloth FAR outweighs sleepless nights. ;)

HW cloth is harder to work worth and pricier... but serves a purpose. That purpose may not be served well if the HW isn't installed properly. In other word... simply stapling it (or chicken wire) can be easily pushed and pulled until the staples give way and entrance is made.

Hope you have a wonderful adventure! :pop

Our coop was built very well. Top has hardware cloth all around and doors have double locks. Mine free range during the day only if I am home. Sorry about the mess...we have had to remove some trees.

Attachments

• AD0F1C83-9747-44B3-927F-35DBDE0EC402.jpeg
    AD0F1C83-9747-44B3-927F-35DBDE0EC402.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks to all for the feedback on predator proofing. My SIL said the same thing. The most threat we'd have is anything that could burrow their way in and those skunks, which we certainly have. Every so often a coyote will be heard in the area, but my main concern of course is the safety of my girls. Yes, cooping them up at night for sure!!

Back
Top Bottom