Quick LGD question

As an example....If you were throwing a Party and your kids were running around and someone grabbed your kid to swing up in the air.....The dog might bite the person??? When we have lots of people over, I lock Finn in the Basement...He gets nervous....

Cheers!

Yeah I guess that sort of thing or like of they're in a work setting and some trespasses, would they bite them or bark first or?

It generally is the females of the breed that are more protective in that way....

Ahh okay, that makes sense. Thanks :)

A well bred LGD...Should have all the proper instincts to NOT attack the flock...Mine is great with Chickens and Horses...He was born and raised with Mini Mares and foals...I got him at 4 months old...He is Fantastic...No one would dare come onto my property to steal anything or harm us....He is a Marsh mellow most times, I would not want to be on the receiving end of him though when he is working....They bond to family, home, and whatever they are in charge of....They are not social Dogs...When we have company he leaves to lay on the hill...He does not need human companionship....Thousands of years taught them to be alone with flocks...
Best thing to do is research the breeds and then you will know all about them....

Cheers!

People that are more interest in the economics of the livestock side will not all agree with it is just about breeding. Parties that make money on the dog breeding side will more likely than not agree with that.

Thanks for all the input everybody :)

I also wonder if the one that wandered had a flock to protect or was more bought as a "pet"?? Cause if he didn't have a flock he might be more likely to roam?

Although either way, it seems odd to me that they would let him roam. LGDs aren't exactly cheap (well I guess it depends?) And the flock/herd sure isn't so it seems to me they would want the dog protecting what he's supposed to protect? And aren't they supposed to have a protecting stay with the flock instinct anyway? I know if it was me I wouldn't want my dog, pet or guardian, running off to ditch the flock/leave the flock vulnerable to attack or getting killed or hurt out there...

Seems a bit strange to me
r

The wandering dog did have a flock it was supposed to be protecting.

r

The wandering dog did have a flock it was supposed to be protecting.

Wow that's weird then. Must depend on the individual dog, though from what I'm gathering here most would wander if not fenced? Or maybe he was introduced to the stock later in life?

Did they get a new dog?

Back
Top Bottom