Quietest Parrots?

Seems this may be too late, but you may want to look into something outside of the big parrots. If you want something calm and quiet, a plum-headed parakeet or even a grass parakeet may be the way to go. Never owned either, but I've had a green-cheek conure, lots of parakeets, and a cockatiel. All of them had their loud moments. But all I've read about the plum-headed 'keet talks about its quiet, calm demeanor. On top of that, it's a really nice size and is gorgeous!

I have an African Grey, and she is so much quieter than any other parrot in MY OPINION. I also work in an aviary with over 2 dozen different parrots. Im used to the noise levels of different parrots, and even the african greys are much more tolerable since they mimic human speech as well as mechanical sounds. Much less prone to screaming in my opinion. I find it more enjoyable to have little nonsense conversations with my parrot than listening to her repeat the same loud chirp or screech all day

85437_img_7366.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,, here are your options...
smile.png

-Finches and Canaries
These tiny birds have even tinier voices, making them great options for bird lovers that want peace and quiet. As a bonus, their small size helps keep space requirements and cleaning to a minimum.

-Parakeets (Budgies)
If you like the look of a parrot, then a Parakeet or Budgie may be the right bird for you! They are true members of the parrot family, as evidenced by their markings and build. They also have the ability to speak, just as their larger relatives do. The main difference, aside from size, is that Parakeets cannot physically scream at the volume of a large parrot. For this reason, they are a good choice for bird owners that would rather see and not hear their pets.

-Parrotlets
Though they are parrots in every sense of the word, tiny Parrotlets, like Parakeets, lack the ability to scream and screech like most other hookbills. Their soft chatter and chirps are hardly enough to disturb even the most sensitive ears.

-Cockatiels
If you would like your pet to be a little larger than a Finch or Parakeet, then consider a pet Cockatiel. These beautiful birds can be quite vocal, but tend to be quieter than many other parrot species. If you don't mind a few chirps, clucks, and whistles throughout the day, then a Cockatiel may be a good option for you.

-Senegal Parrots
At around 10 inches in length, Senegal Parrots are medium sized birds that are known to be one of the quietest parrot species. While they do vocalize and have the ability to talk, they are far less likely to screech and scream than other medium and large sized parrots.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find plans and blueprints on http://www.blueprintfinder.com

Quote:
If you don't mind feeding fresh fruit and veggies every day, there's another option (and they're VERY quiet) -- mousebirds (aka colies). There are a few species in captivity, and if you find a breeder who hand-feeds, you can have a very tame and animated pet.

smile.png

Whatever you do, don't get a Patagonian conure. I love my Ziggy, but his screams can make your head ring, literally. I agree that Green Cheek conures are relatively quiet. And they are sweet little birds. My little Verde is awesome. He can be nippy, though, when trying to protect his territory (cage).

Quote:
This is a really personal thing! The constant (quiet) chatter of budgies drives me up the wall, but I don't mind the occasional (loud!) screaming of my larger parrots. Each person has different responses to the different types of noises birds make.
smile.png

Honestly, so far, one of my chickens has been the quietest and sweetest pet bird I have (just not the smartest and she can't learn to talk).
gig.gif

I've had three different Blue-crowned conures, and they were all relatively quiet. Of course, there are different perceptions of "quiet". Quiet like able to live in an apartment and quiet like not able to make your ears ring. I would not recommend ANY psittacine birds for apartment living except maybe cockatiels, and some of those can get pretty boisterous.

Edited to add, if you want your ear drums split, get a Sun or Nanday conure!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom