Quietest Parrots?

Quote:
Not to be disagreeable, but my two pionus would make you reconsider! One of them is easily louder than a conure when she gets going.

All parrots are individuals! There is no 'quiet' parrot species, only (rarely) quiet individuals.

Agreed! My maximilian will peel the paint off the walls when she's singing happily with DH. Quiet is relative, and depends on a lot of factors.

I've yet to hear anyone say that linnies are "loud", though. You could check into those? I believe the common colors aren't expensive.

(btw - Hi NAM! This is Kachina from the WS forum - teeny tiny world.)
wink.png

Quote:
Hi Kachina!!

I had a friend with a linnie... his voice wasn't 'big' in terms of loud, but he sure was shrill!! No louder than a cockatiel scream but it was very piercing. Mostly he was full of buzzing and clicks though.

none haahha , My quaker parrot was pretty inexpensive but he is exremely loud ,my 2 conures were free but they are louder than my cockatoo , my tiels are reasonably quiet but once they get going their is no stopping them , I know these are not parrots but white doves are reasonbly priced and are quiet except when they cooo and they are sweet i have an aviary of them

Just to let you all know I wouldn't mind a "normal"lol parrot at all, So now tell me the easiest birds to find and that aren't very expensive.
And are more beginner birds.

Last edited:
I inherited a cockatiel and green headed amazon parrot from two separate families. The first from an Navy Seal family after they found out they were expecting their first child. They lived in a small apartment, and it was just tooooooo much noise. A spoiled stincker, they didn't tell me that he could mimic the phone ringing. Brought him home, set the cage close to where the phone was. I was getting annoyed because the danged phone kept ringing, and no one there. Since I was already by the cage, well, all sorts of positive re-enforcement. Dumb humans. Anyway, got the spoiled parrot from another Navy Seal couple. The last adventure the bird successfully got away with was when the Mom was upstairs cleaning, and forgot to close the parrots cage door. The cage was next to their answering machine/phone. Sophia (the bird) loves attention and talking once she knows you. She thinks the phone a toy strickly for her. Freed, she walked across the buttons, hitting the one button for 911 emergencies. Her delighted response when hearing a voice was to cry out, "Help! Help! They locked me in!!!" (hint: might sound funny, but this isn't the smartest thing to teach a caged bird to say). Mary (my friend) didn't hear the banging on the door right away. When she answered the door, she was baffled. They didn't believe her. Invited in, she insisted they look around. Had to be a mistake. Then she spotted Sophia whom sensed she was gonna be busted and went back into her cage...but her cage door was opened. Mary figured it out, they did not believe her. Mary brought out Sophia, tried to coach her to repeat what she said, but of course, she went mute. As they were leaving, THEN she said it, loud of course. Their jaws dropped. Laughed of course. Then she called me...did I want another bird?

AND THEN she didn't tell me that among the over 200 words she speaks, part of this is mimicking EXACTLY the answering machine, starting with the beep/beep/beep, you have three messages....and ending with an EXACT mimick of her hubby Austin's voice picking up the phone. So now, with both birds, Sophia has taught Jim (the cockatiel) all her rings. And in turn, the neighbors across the street whom have a parrot, when he's outside in his cage, they all hollar back and forth. AND, with a mockingbird family which nests in a tree on the other side of our living room window, they've been taught many of the same. Sometimes sounds like you've walked into the bird avary at the zoo.

Not all conures are created equal!!! Green-Cheeked Conures (and all from the Pyrrhura genus) are remarkably quiet! I even recall reading a National Geographic article about them once that referred to them as phantoms of the canopy. The Aratinga genus are the ear-piercingly loud ones. I absolutely adore my little Green-Cheek, Murphy. She's 13 years old now (I've had her since she was 5 weeks old) and not very noisy at all. When she DOES make a racket, it's either because something really scared her (my 5 year old carrying a balloon into the room, for instance) or because she's feeling neglected (just hanging out with her for a couple of minutes quells that one). Even her "racket" isn't obnoxious which is something I can't say about my Senegal (considered another "quiet" parrot). Conures have so much personality too. Murphy is happiest when she's perching on the INSIDE of my collar with her back pressed up against my neck under my chin. As far as price, they aren't CHEAP, per se (She cost me about $300 13 years ago), but they aren't thousands of dollars either. And they live a long time but not so long that you'd likely have to will it to someone... 25-30 years.

Have you looked into a parrot rescue? You could get a really nice parrot for very little money.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom