Quietest Parrots?

Quote:
Actually, female cockatiels are about the quietest parrot I can think of at the moment, and they make great pets. There are several sex-linked mutations in cockatiels (cinnamon, lutino, pearl, yellowface), which would allow for a pairing to produce chicks sexable while still in the nest. So if you ask a breeder (rather than a pet shop) for a female, they might be able to sell you a baby whose gender is known because of this pairing.

But, again, if you want a quiet pet bird, check out mousebirds. They're not parrots, but they can be very entertaining if they're handfed.

smile.png

Someone needs to tell my parakeets and female tiel to be more quiet. LOL The apartment sounds like a pet store.

Parakeets in the summer months love to scream at each other every 20 min or so after they decided chattering away wasn't enough.

My female tiel is usually quiet, but will wolf whistle a storm and scream so loud you can hear her, with all windows closed, outside in the parking lot. She is totally awesome as a pet though! She's about a year old now and can do a few tricks, her newest being fetch the ball. She learned to fetch a stick back in June after I caught her carrying things from the bottom to the top of her cage so figured it was time. I want to teach wave or shake, but she steps up beak first about 50% of the time so it doesn't quite work.

Going by what I have personal experience with:

Eclectus: are very quiet birds 95 percent of the time, but every once in a while they will start a loud calling that is pretty anoying.

African Greys: make noise more often then Eclectus, but its always a pretty pleasant sound, whistles and "tropical" sounding noise, no screeching.

Blue Fronted Amazon: very loud screeching, I would not keep mine in the house.

Sun Conure: LOUD and OFTEN, if most conures are like this, In my opinion its a crime to breed them as most will end up in rescues or released to feed hawks. Both mine are females and I will never let them breed. They live on the back porch, and even through the closed doors/windows its often loud.

Never had cockatoo, but if they are as loud as my neighbors and what I hear other people say about them, this is another type of bird that really needs to stop beeing bred. Like the poster said above, parrot rescues get filled up with loud birds.

for a quite parrot a green cheek conure or any of its mutations are amoung the quitest. theyre plenty up for adoption with many parrot rescues. which is an unfortunate statement

the quieset bird i know of is actually the linneolated parakeet...their 'loud" is typically short lived and more tolerable than budgies...

i had a p-let and theyd definatly eb abn option (quieter than any teil ive met male or female), but the linnies are even less frequent squeekers than the p-let was, they are also typically quite good talkers.

my linnies probably give a good chirp session for mabe 2-5 mins a day and thats it...and unlike the other birds ive owned you cant realy hear them ouside of my room...

Quote:
I will second this! I have a peach fronted conure that was sold to me because it was "quiet". Lets just say, this screaming fit has lasted 5 days, starting at 4am (even making the rooster crow), and there's NOTHING I can do to stop it. I can't shower in peace. LOL I love my parrot... when she's good, she's an angel... but when we have these scream fests I want to commit myself for a few days peace!

lol aqua, aint they cute?!

i have 2, cricket a green male,(so apltly named because he chirps like a cricket lol) and Lokie.
they are absolutly wonderful little parrots...
cant fly to save thier lives though LOL, there very good at fluttering, and pretty good about breaking the fall, but the actual skill of flying seems to be something linnies cannot master lol.

they both talk, not alot, but lokie says hi and a few other will one day be words and cricket says his name...
big_smile.png

Quote:
I second that suggestion! Linnies are also very sweet and stay tame even if you don't handle them every day. The other nice thing about a linnie is that if they did try to bite you their beaks are not strong enough to break skin. I have to open up grapes for ours to eat them.

The only downside to linnies are their squirty liquid poops. But for that, there's Poop Off.

I still have my little Green-Cheeked Conure. She'll be 19 years old in March. I stand behind my original post. Green-Cheeks are awesome! =)

Back
Top Bottom