Raising Chickens in Florida

Quote:
Chickens will snap bees right out of the air and eat them. If they have acess to the bees, the bees not be around for long.

Edit: Please note I haven't actually had a beehive, I just know what my chickens do when they see a bee.

Last edited:
Bantamlover23 I do live close to you LOL thats awsome....., does everyone here that lives in florida do you guys live in suburban areas or in your own land? I live in a suburban area and i hope in the future the laws will be changed in having poultry in residential area.
fl.gif
( My signature gives more info about it if you would like more information; dont want moderators to think i am spamming!...but the thread is being reviewed so you might not see it right now till later)

Claydoctor I have a friend that lives in Clermont and he raises allot of beehives and he also has chickens I dont think its much of a problem. I was thinking of having bees as well maybe in the future....
wink.png

Hello from Titusville! We are just getting started with chickens are happy to find this forum! This thread is exactly the question I was going to ask. I had hoped to be able to raise Blue Cochins and barred rocks, but am now worried it may be too hot here for the cochins. Our coop is planned for a shady area. I just love the cochins and definitely want a "big" chicken hoping to try prevent them being taken by a hawk or eagle. We have an abundace of hawks, owls, bobcats, racoons, opossums and even nesting in the area bald eagles.

So does anyone have direct experience with cochins in Florida that can tell me for sure if they don't do well because of the heat?

We are planning our coop now with multiple layers of predator prevention.

Welcome to BYC!
I live in Lake City which is north cental Florida. My chicken condo has a solid back with wire at the top and aluminum at the bottom for the sides and doors on the front and an aluminum roof.Can't have them totally closed up here. Got to have plenty of ventilation. In the winter, it get cold here. We start at one end and go to the other end with a tarp about 5 feet wide to protect from the cold . When it warms up, we just take down the tarp. During hurricane season, we will put the tarp back up if we are threatened. I have electric fence all the way around for predators. I notice that there is no smell with an open pen like mine..
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I live in SW Florida. I have a variety of chickens and haven;t had a problem with any particular breeds. I have RIR's, Barred rocks, white leghorns, sexlinks, EE's, silkies, and lots of Mutt's.

As long as they have shelter and shade and predetor proof fencing, you should be fine. Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Acutually I live in Chuluota, but most people do not know where that is. That is so cool that we are so close.
big_smile.png

*waving my hand in the air* i know where it is! i'm in geneva.........almost NO one knows where that is lol

i keep or have kept a bit of everything down thru the years......never had a problem with any breed, frankly. when it's hot, they all feel it.
lots of shade, lots of cool fresh water...that seems to be the ticket here

I'm in Pinellas too! I Was thrilled when I recently found out Largo allows chickens when properly enclosed woo hoo. We have chickens where I work (a boarding kennel in Safety Harbor) we have a variety and they do well. I know we have a RIR, white leghorn, blue andelusian, plym rock and several others (forgive me, I'm still learning tee hee).

I'm not sure which type I want to get? I want good layers and hopefully friendly birds

Quote:
Just moved from West Palm Beach. Got some eggs at the South FL Fair a few years ago and hatched them outta curiosity. One chick turned out to be a Blue Cochin Bantam. He did just fine for about 3 years before a predator took him. In fact, he free ranged and considered himself the "Cock of the Walk". Ran a good bluff on about a hundred gamecocks that had to be penned. Still miss him. Mr Personality. Big Cochins should do well for you........Pop

Back
Top Bottom