Rhode island? Ocean state, anyone else out there?

Hi! Newbie here. Anyone in Newport? I want to get two hens in a small coop, but with the law stating that it has to be 10 ft from any property line, can i still tractor it around in the daytime as long as i put it back at night? Our yard it pretty small and to follow the law the coop has to be situated pretty much in the middle of our property... Does the no-roaming mean i can't even let them out for an hour supervised? Have any of you gotten 'heat' from any neighbors? Tia...

Hi! Newbie here. Anyone in Newport? I want to get two hens in a small coop, but with the law stating that it has to be 10 ft from any property line, can i still tractor it around in the daytime as long as i put it back at night? Our yard it pretty small and to follow the law the coop has to be situated pretty much in the middle of our property... Does the no-roaming mean i can't even let them out for an hour supervised? Have any of you gotten 'heat' from any neighbors? Tia...

Hi
I would call your town hall to get your questions answered. The town most likely wants the chickens confined to a run and not allowed to free range all day. I wouldn't see a problem with supervised free ranging but I would recommend calling for clarification.

Hello fellow Rhody natives!!!! I think if our chickens survived the winter of 2014/15 they can survive dying!!!!!! bahahahahha Never been so happy to see spring!
clap.gif

I know that any free range, supervised or otherwise, is very illegal. It's based on the assumption that a free range chicken is going to be a meal for predators, and that the chicken can move faster than you, and will escape. It's just not a good idea. Also, you can just move the coop around the property as much as you want, just return it to the necessary distance at night. if someone sees it and inquires, just tell them you're cleaning the yard.

Any Rhode Islanders out there looking for friendly adolescent roosters to guard their flocks? My family is new to chickens and I underestimated my attachment to the male chicks we hatched. I am hoping I can find them good homes as members of flocks before they start fighting amongst themselves. Any takers or any sage advice, let me know :)

Back
Top Bottom