Rooster not eating or acting right......comb is starting ti change color on the tips.

This poop is from the 4 outside birds that were wormed with Strike III over 5 days and I hand fed them the pelletts so I know that each bird got its full dose. I am not seeing the peach color or blood in the poop for the last few days since they have been given the probiotic. Rooster was wormed with Strike III the same way but I did not get photos of his poop yet.
Like I mentioned with enteritis, intestinal worms, protozoa, bacteria can all cause this sort of problem with blood in stools. I am not sure how much Hygromycin-B is contained in the amount you fed your birds. The fact that you fed for 5 days should have done the job. I've tried Rooster Booster Multi-Wormer, which is the same as Strike III, but in a crumble form. I found myself mixing it in a wet mash in order to get them to eat it, and eventually worming again a few months later with Albendazole. There is noticeable difference I've seen in the health & activity of birds after deworming, even if the infestation wasn't bad. Diet can cause a variety of color in droppings too, but blood, excessive mucous, watery bright green or yellow, foamy are descriptions that indicate intestinal problems. If you haven't done a flock treatment for the hens with Amprolium for Coccidiosis, you may want to do that beginning Monday to Sunday. You've been giving poultry vitamins-electrolytes with the probiotic powder in waterers?

To ochochicas,
1.6 ml is a very high dose of Tylan 50. You are treating respiratory problems? If so, the dose I always used was .5cc once a day under the skin on the back of the neck. If the bird was 5 lbs or more, I'd give an additional .5cc in the breast muscle. It has been a number of years since I treated a respiratory problem, but I never remember having to do it for more than 5 days.

Michael I am going to do the Amprolium for the hens.....It was out of stock when I went to Tractor Supply. They have been getting poultry vitamins-electrolytes with the probiotic powder in waterers....and they have been drinking. The color of the poop in the photo looks like blood but it is not.....the color is a carmel colot....it looks more red in the photo than it actually is, but I am going to treat. Should I treat after that with another wormer ......you or someone else mentioned to use Valbazen suspension before in a post or should I use the Albendazole that you mention now?
I think I know why the rooster might not have been eating so good.......I was giving him the crumbles wet with his meds to get them in him and have recently started switching to dry crumbles and pelletts. Well when I noticed tonight that he was not pooping as big I thought I would see if he would eat the wet food and he sure did....So I think that might be what is going on......He is spoiled!

Valbazen is the brand name for albendazole. I'm glad that he is eating so well. It's probably hard not to get spoiled when you're getting all of the TLC for weeks, LOL.

If it were me, I'd do a 5-7 day course of amprolium in waterers for the hens, making a fresh solution each day. Then I would supplement water for 2 days with vitamin-probiotics. You can then do a final worming with Albendazole (Valbazen) since it would be about 10 or more days since they were last wormed.

Quote: Thanks for the info. I looked up the dose and it is 35 mg/kg BID or TID. For a 5+ pound rooster that comes out to 80 mg or 1.6cc of Tylan 50. It seems like a lot, but in hindsight I should have looked for Tylan 200. He has bite marks and must have been attacked by something. It seems he has a systemic infection resulting from the bites and attack. He is starting to look a little better finally. I was just wondering when to stop giving him the Tylan. My vet isn't much help since she doesn't know a ton about chickens.

Quote: Thanks for the info. I looked up the dose and it is 35 mg/kg BID or TID. For a 5+ pound rooster that comes out to 80 mg or 1.6cc of Tylan 50. It seems like a lot, but in hindsight I should have looked for Tylan 200. He has bite marks and must have been attacked by something. It seems he has a systemic infection resulting from the bites and attack. He is starting to look a little better finally. I was just wondering when to stop giving him the Tylan. My vet isn't much help since she doesn't know a ton about chickens.
I'm actually researching the correct tylosin dose for poultry, and I think that the dose you have found is a good one. The dose mentioned on the Tylan Powder page recommends 110mg/kg per day, and this is what Plumb's veterinary drug handbook says:

This link also has dosing info:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

-Kathy

casportpony....Thank you for the poop 101.....I did not know that there were the different kinds till you asked for cecal poop picture LOL. I guess what I thought was diareah was Cecal poo! But I do know that the peach color & blood that I saw before and during the worming and a bit after was not normal. I will take a photo if I see that again.
Knowing what's normal for your bird is what matters, so if you saw odd colored poop from one that's eating regular chicken feed, then there is probably something wrong.

-Kathy

Casportpony......Yes you are right....something is wrong and I am going to treat with Corid first and see what happens....saw some of the peach color thoday just a tiny bit. If I still see problems after that I will worm with Valbazem if I can find it......Have not found yet.....do you know wher I can get it? I am in NJ.....
Diane

Casportpony......Yes you are right....something is wrong and I am going to treat with Corid first and see what happens....saw some of the peach color thoday just a tiny bit. If I still see problems after that I will worm with Valbazem if I can find it......Have not found yet.....do you know wher I can get it? I am in NJ.....
Diane
You'll probably won't find it at a feedstore... most order online. You could also treat with Safeguard, but would need to do it five days in a row at 0.23ml per pound.

-Kathy

Thanks
I'm actually researching the correct tylosin dose for poultry, and I think that the dose you have found is a good one. The dose mentioned on the Tylan Powder page recommends 110mg/kg per day, and this is what Plumb's veterinary drug handbook says:

This link also has dosing info:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

-Kathy
Thanks Kathy! I'm pretty sure at this point my rooster should have had a different antibiotic since he doesn't have a respiratory problem. He's on day 6 of Tylan and he's actually looking better. I still don't know how long I should dose him, but I think today will be he last day. He's also fighting and trying to bite me when I inject him. If he get sicker at this point, I will have to think about a different antibiotic or culling him. So far I am hopeful! Thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom