Rooster not eating or acting right......comb is starting ti change color on the tips.

Let us know if he gets any injection site reactions. BTW, Tylan *is* used to treat other types of infections.

-Kathy

Will do. The lady at the feed store told me I can give it SQ, so that is what I've been trying to do since SQ injections will generally be less painful than IM. However, Roo has so many feathers, and he wiggles, that just getting it in is sometimes a challenge. I don't have a good restrainer, so I do most of treatments myself. One of his legs is quite injured, and the other is small, so I've been switching between the legs and the chest. I did notice his good leg had a bump on it from where he was injected yesterday. I'll keep an eye on them.

I give sc injections on their backs. Here are some pictures I took of me giving sc fluids to a deceased bird and to a live peahen:

Insert needle and watch that it doesn't poke back out or you will get wet, lol. Slowly depress plunger and look for leaks. If no leaks, give fluids.

This was the size of the bubble after 75ml.

Here you can see how it's spread under the skin.

Wet area with rubbing alcohol, this will allow better viewing of the injection site.

-Kathy

Last edited:
25 gauge needle works well for subcutaneous injections. Penn requires 18-20 gauge since it is thick. Shake it up well before drawing it up.
25 would be good for most injections, but too small for fluids. For fluids or large volumes I would use and 18 to 22.

-Kathy

Just want to check the dose for Corid 20% powder......and for how long. Treating 5 birds.

Just want to check the dose for Corid 20% powder......and for how long. Treating 5 birds.
Corid Powder dose to treat for a severe outbreak is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days. Here is a picture that shows the doses:

FYI, most people treat for severe.

-Kathy

Corid dosed for the full 7 days then a day of vitamins & probiotics...... and now I got the Valbazen.....going to worm tomorrow....I weighed the birds today.......wondering if I should do the full dose for bantams of .25 ml/cc for al the birds because the weight on some is low? Here are the weights:
1.16 lb
2.20 lb
1.97 lb
2.04 lb
3.11 lb

My little one who weighs the 1.16 lb's is my little doll baby and I do not want to make her sick with an overdose!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom