Rouen Duck thread

Got my ducklings today. I ordered 6 and one did not make it :( after speaking with Metzers they are going to send another Rouen duckling to replace the one I lost and then a random duckling so its not shipped alone. My question is when the other ducklings get here in a few days do I need to introduce them slowly or at this age will they do okay just being placed together. Also will having 6 Rouens and one other breed make a difference? Thanks. They are so pretty :p

My 6-1 hatch is coming early. Have 1 on it's way out of shell. My oldest bunch are growing like weeds and last weeks hatch is coming right along. Last duck hatch w/o a mature male for his early in the year. Next year maybe I will have dozens more..... maybe.

I have two Rouen ducklings. One has a rough edged white spot on the back of the neck, near where the white ring would be on a male. It is smaller than a dime. Is this indicative of boy/girl? It would totally stink if it's a boy, "her" name is Winona. =) It's the one on the far left in this picture.

Last edited:
I have two Rouen ducklings. One has a rough edged white spot on the back of the neck, near where the white ring would be on a male. It is smaller than a dime. Is this indicative of boy/girl? It would totally stink if it's a boy, "her" name is Winona. =) It's the one on the far left in this picture.
That doesn't mean anything. Even a green sheen that shows before they molt is not a pointer to the sex. You can either start telling around 4-5 weeks by voice or around 3 months when the drake feather shows after the white ring around the neck developed.

I need some help. Whaty could have caused this type wound on my one rouen hen

It is a small puncture in the back of her neck. She is missing a large number of feathers off her back and she is not walking very well. I have moved her into the garage in an extra large storage tote. I cleaned the wound. She is not happy about not being with the rest of the flock, but I have no clue what could have down this.

I sent the picture to my husband. We will be moving the video cameras to show the pens.

Another duck attacking her or in the breeding process could have done it but also a hawk, fox, raccoon ,possum, skunk , Arnadillo , a cat , a dog , bobcat , cayote. Anything could have done it .

But what you need is to make sure she is swimming in fresh clean water to help clean the wound and help her begin to walk right again . Like when I say clean was I mean like but her in the bathtub kind if clean .

I'm so sorry that that happend I'll pray for her

Another duck attacking her or in the breeding process could have done it but also a hawk, fox, raccoon ,possum, skunk , Arnadillo , a cat , a dog , bobcat , cayote. Anything could have done it .

But what you need is to make sure she is swimming in fresh clean water to help clean the wound and help her begin to walk right again . Like when I say clean was I mean like but her in the bathtub kind if clean .

I'm so sorry that that happend I'll pray for her

Atm I am trying to keep her quiet and calm. I need he calm so I can get a better look at her injuries. I know the mature drake we had would not leave her side and only left when I came over to check on her. He watched me the entire time. She is the only one with injuries.

My husband and I had planned to move all of our Rabbits into the same pen in hutches. I think that may help if it was a hawk. It should give them more places to hide from hawks. I have seen coons, foxes, skunks, possums, cat, dog, etc.... attacks and they never stop at one. I am think from the last check on her that a hawk got her and lost her while off the ground. That she was dropped in the pen is amazing me.

Back
Top Bottom