Russian Orloff Thread

I have a light brahma(female)a red ranger(female)and a dark brown leghorn(female). The red ranger is the leader then the brahma then leghorn. They all love me and my dogs but should they accept the others? I am planning to hatch aurcaunas and Russian Orloff chicks. I just can't find anyplace near Montana or anywhere else with eggs but I found where to get chicks.

And personally I would pay even more for them I love my chickens with all my heart. I would pay a million dollars for them.

I had the same question on the mixed flock thing, also rooster personalities? Funny my son saw this breed featured on the Chickens Jan/Feb issue and wants them, he thinks they look like a hawk which is beyond cool.

I need more chickens like i need a hole in my head, that said a couple wouldn't make or break me especially with their cold hardiness.. i have windchills in the 20's and real temps in double digits negatives this week alone.

Do they fly at all? some of my breeds can, so they are capable of foraging for the day by clearing the 4ft fencing.

I had the same question on the mixed flock thing, also rooster personalities? Funny my son saw this breed featured on the Chickens Jan/Feb issue and wants them, he thinks they look like a hawk which is beyond cool.

I need more chickens like i need a hole in my head, that said a couple wouldn't make or break me especially with their cold hardiness.. i have windchills in the 20's and real temps in double digits negatives this week alone.

Do they fly at all? some of my breeds can, so they are capable of foraging for the day by clearing the 4ft fencing.

I have orloffs and with windchill it might down to -30 tomorrow night. Mine fair just fine. As far as flying. They can. Mine don't try to escape but they fly up to their roost and they are about 4 ft off the ground.

I have orloffs and with windchill it might down to -30 tomorrow night. Mine fair just fine. As far as flying. They can. Mine don't try to escape but they fly up to their roost and they are about 4 ft off the ground.

Yes, we did the same ... horrible windchill and actual temps were supposed to be coming out of it today. Okay that is what i wanted to know whether they can clear a 4ft fence, i keep many coops behind that and i have some breeds who clear it and go forage for the day which is fine, i encourage it but i have some LF that cannot so i don't 'open the gate' as they are more vulnerable.

Here is a picture of one of our Spangled Russian Orloff Rooster, the other roo is mahogany, he is honestly one of the most devoted to his hens, he even sleeps close with them and sometimes lays down with them while the lay. He has never been aggressive towards adults but when he was younger he did flog my toddler a time or two. He seems to have grown out of it and hasn't ever done it again. We have two hens who only stay with the Russian Orloff rooster. They aren't great layers, their production really slacks off after they turn over a year old and they don't lay large eggs. However they are good forages, cold hardy, friendly and inquisitive, they stick around home and mind fences, they also do not eat he amount of feed other breeds do.They do make some very interesting and amusing sounds for chickens though, my daughter calls them seagull eagles because they can make these odd calls that sound like a combination of both birds screeching at once We kept the breed around because we found crossing them with some of the heavier breeds makes some nice sized, fast growing and very ranging butcher birds. One of his offspring was a cross between him and a light Brahma, it has his exact body shape and size but with the coloring of a light Brahma and feathered legs. We kept him around because he was just too cool to put in the freezer. We got our's from Privett Hatchery but they no longer sell them. Oddly enough we picked these chickens for my parents as a sort of a joke as my maiden name is Ortloff.

Beautiful RO!!! Really handsome! I knew an Orloff lady once and was going to name our RO after her. But we went with Ameraucana because of the blue eggs and better layers. These ROs are beautiful birds. A lot of places are not selling them anymore and some breeders have stopped because of RO health problems, fertility, and low productivity. Really a shame!

Sylvester017 there are quite a few Orloff breeders in the US and Canada. The breed has been gaining popularity. Visit our Society web page on Facebook at the address on post # 58 if you are interested in joining us.

Back
Top Bottom