Russian Orloff Thread

Sylvester017 there are quite a few Orloff breeders in the US and Canada. The breed has been gaining popularity. Visit our Society web page on Facebook at the address on post # 58 if you are interested in joining us.

TY vtguania - that is a nice invitation. I was looking everywhere for ROs 18 months ago and it was like pulling teeth. Breeders said they weren't breeding any more, others said they were having health problems like sitting on haunches (??) and that left only hatcheries which I don't order from. I only like to get juveniles/adults. Anyway, my friend recommended an alternative APA Ameraucana (my avatar) in lieu of a bearded RO. I haven't been sorry to get our Amer since she turned out to be a very good pet and a very good layer -- we liked her so much that we ordered a 2nd Amer for this Spring.

Again, TY so much for the kind recommendation about the ROs. I have reach my zoned max number of birds but will always keep your kind RO invitation for the future.
smile.png

No worries Sylvester017. We will still be around if you ever decide to get Orloff. There is a more active Orloff thread here on BYC as well. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297764/russian-orloffs/2730#post_14886132

Anyone else interested in getting into Orloff is more than welcomed to join our Russian Orloff Society of USA and Canada facebook group page. We have a really good amount of breeders with different levels of experience on the breed. We also have an SOP Committee working on writing a standard for the breed to present to the APA as well as a newly elected Society Board.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/uscaorloffs/

Julio Rivera, President

No worries Sylvester017. We will still be around if you ever decide to get Orloff. There is a more active Orloff thread here on BYC as well. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297764/russian-orloffs/2730#post_14886132

Anyone else interested in getting into Orloff is more than welcomed to join our Russian Orloff Society of USA and Canada facebook group page. We have a really good amount of breeders with different levels of experience on the breed. We also have an SOP Committee working on writing a standard for the breed to present to the APA as well as a newly elected Society Board.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/uscaorloffs/

Julio Rivera, President

Yes, TY - I was aware of the other RO BYC thread you mentioned. So glad to see the RO has a following! It really needs a standard in the APA. On feathersite.com the Spangled Orloff roo from Bulgaria is so gorgeous but I have yet to see that large of a white beard in U.S. stock. I wondered if it was because the colder foreign climates brought out the fluffier thicker feathering on the ROs? USA ROs just don't seem as fully feathered as the foreign ROs.

I do not use Facebook or Twitter or any social media other than the dedicated threads on BYC - just not a fan of other social media but my DH might pop on there from time to time. TY!

Sylvester017 one important thing to remember is that the large beard/muff comes with age. Orloff takes two years to mature, some will have a really nice full beard/muff from the start but most acquire it with maturity. regional acclimatization may also have a lot to do with having more thicker feathering as well.

Sylvester017 one important thing to remember is that the large beard/muff comes with age. Orloff takes two years to mature, some will have a really nice full beard/muff from the start but most acquire it with maturity. regional acclimatization may also have a lot to do with having more thicker feathering as well.

Beautiful roo (center). Your VT climate brings out the best in the RO beards/muffs! Looks as gorgeous as the Bulgarian RO photo on Feathersite! Your stock is going to set some high APA standards one day.

It's funny that when I couldn't find any ROs a couple years ago I wound up getting my APA Blue Wheaten Ameraucana from a VT breeder. VT climate must bring out the best in chicken breeding!

Thank you Sylvester017. The top two photos are the same cockerel. The bottom one is it's hatch mate. Unfortunately I lost the one in the bottom on Thanksgiving, he was my favorite. The one in the top photo will be a yr old in a week.

Thank you Sylvester017. The top two photos are the same cockerel. The bottom one is it's hatch mate. Unfortunately I lost the one in the bottom on Thanksgiving, he was my favorite. The one in the top photo will be a yr old in a week.

Sorry that you lost the beautiful roo.
It's always the favorite one that gives us the heartache. Our favorite girl is the one that we need to take to the vet often. But she's hangs in there and we know how to watch/monitor her better.
Your young boy has a tall confident and promising stance.

Any breeders in the VA, NC area???

I live in NC and I picked up a few Orloffs from a guy about 1 hour South of Raleigh. His stock originates from the breeders in Mississippi. I got mine fully feathers & straight run - we've had them just over a month and I still have no clue! I know he dabbles in harder to find breeds and tends to sell hatching eggs and chicks. Send me a message if you want more information - I do have his phone number.

Here is one of my russian orloff chicks I got from Fayetteville poultry we have been very pleased dealing with them !

Here is one of my russian orloff chicks I got from Fayetteville poultry we have been very pleased dealing with them !

I've never had ROs but have had other chick breeds and I like getting older chicks/juvies rather than day-olds. It is so heartbreaking to lose newborns so I prefer the older ones for less chance of loss. I'm a softie and have a hard time dealing with losing pets. Your chickee pix are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom