Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Pics
I have some saipan chicks for sale. They are spangled, wheaten and blue wheaten. They are $10/each and I can ship if you are not in NC. I will have to charge extra if I have to express mail them but there is no extra charge for priority mail. Thanks

Hello.
Oldcowfoot.
It seems like you have some of the beat Siapans. If you got the Hazel Mathews line. Then they should be. I came accross a pair at an Auction probly 15 years ago. Big tall and a vert good looking head and eye. A true mean Oriental looking bird. Well the going price was 30.00 each. I wish to this day. I would have spent the money.
Since then I have really not been interested in the Siapan. As I have many other breeds of chickens.
I do know that is your choice what you do with your Siapans. And I do not want to start any trouble. But you could probably send some of your stock. To people who you think or know. That they could breed them. And keep the gene pool going.
I have been looking for the Standard White Cornish for some years. And have talked to a few people. Some where very nice. And offered them to me at decent prices. Others who said they did not sell. And a few who gave me prices. That I would not pay if they were the best available. And then some others that got there stock by stealing.
Hope you keep up the breeding of these fine fowl. With out having to indroduce any Shamo or Malay blood which will be very hard. If you are to maintain them. With out inbreeding problems over the coming years........Nick in New Jersey

I like the one in the last picture. They seem to be ok. But nothing like the pair I saw at the Pennsylvania auction. They were some awesome looking Orientals. I will look thru the internet and try to find some. That look similar.

Hello
I would say. If you want to make that cross. Go ahead and do it. I have not but maybe others have. I would think if you used the BB Red Male Siapan over a Light Brahma hen. You could color sex the Red females and White color for males. And have some lightly feathered legs...Good luck.....Nick

Here are a few pictures of some of my Saipans. These are not hatchery birds

I was just over on the Ultimate Fowl Forum. From what was posted on the forum, the Saipan is a mythical creature (I have seen more pictures of Bigfoot than I did of Saipan on their site) and only the individuals on the forum are able to determine if the animal is a Saipan. I think before you can disqualify a bird as not being a Saipan, one would need a standard.

Where is the standard so a person can evaluate a hatchery bird or any bird that a person says is a Saipan. I am not saying your (Total Chaos) birds are not Saipan, just trying to make a point.

I would love to cross a male Saipan ( if they exist) with some cornish cross and see what I could get to segregate( in the F2) from an F1 cross?

The dark wheaten female in your picture carries herself like a non-game ( flat back). Is that normal or did you catch her in an unusual position.

How did you acquire your birds?

Tim

Last edited:
I bet if someone posted a picture of a 32 inch tall 14 lb saipan cock with typical coloring as shown above they could get 500$. 32 inche standing next to a yard stick,not wishful thinking.

I love the thought of someday getting a hold of true Saipans, but I not going to hold my breath.

I got some from Purely Poultry last year. I promised in another thread to keep a detailed record of them. I had the wind knocked out of me when I found out how wild and wonderful WV can be. Turns out everything on the planet wants to eat a chicken. My dog, my Neighbors dogs, raccoons and hawks. Got everything squared away now. Ordered 10 more from Purely Poultry. I know these are not "real saipans", but I like them, and think it would have been a waste if these were some real expensive birds. I keep the 4 pullets I have left with a few red sex links.( weird side note,They were really mean to the sex links until they started laying eggs, then they took on a protector roll ) Love their personalities. Got ten more from Purely Poultry hoping to get one good rooster out of them. Can any body please put up a picture of a pure Hazel Mathews Saipan, just so I know what I'm supposed to be shooting for.

Thanks,

Cooper

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom