sebright thread

Pics
Ya know, if they die, they die. There's not a whole lot you can do. For sure it's heartbreaking but sometimes it happens and it's necessary.

If it makes you feel better, I ordered 16 chicks from Ideal and all arrived alive and healthy. They even added an extra Silkie free of charge haha (I don't know if they knew or not but I don't care lol).

Has anyone had any experience with a hatchery out of Seneca Falls, NY? I can't remember the hatchery name, I think it might have been letters like "J & S" or something like that. I was given the phone number by someone who told me they have Sebrights. This guy has had good experiences dealing with them. Can anyone back that up?

I have ordered some silver sebright eggs on ebay that are going to be shipped next week. I have incubated quite a few shipped large fowl eggs but I read somewhere that bantam eggs require more humidity. What humidity level would you recommend for the first 18 days & lockdown? Is there anything else I should do different than large fowl.

Can anyone suggest a place to get silver sebrights in Northern California / SF Bay Area? I have 2 OEGH and 2 splash silkies. Are all sebrights mean or is it worth trying?? I'm reading this thread and some of the posts worry me a bit. I am also looking for a couple of bantam polish hens.
Thank you in advance!!

Can anyone suggest a place to get silver sebrights in Northern California / SF Bay Area? I have 2 OEGH and 2 splash silkies. Are all sebrights mean or is it worth trying?? I'm reading this thread and some of the posts worry me a bit. I am also looking for a couple of bantam polish hens.
Thank you in advance!!
I wouldn't say they are "mean" per se, but they do assert themselves. If you are worried about their temperament, it may be worth looking into hatching eggs and let your hens hatch them, so they grow up in the established pecking order, rather than getting new adult birds and have them disrupt it.

That being said, some places to look could be Craigslist, Ebay, or contact your Extension Office and see if they know of people.

All I can say is that my Sebrights are very friendly and social. Now when Forest was new to learning how to be an adult roo, he would get his hackles up if my gloved hand moved too fast while hand feeding the flock, but by not challenging him, and taking off my glove he soon realized he didn't need to be fearful and assert himself. Besides, they are so little. Dovey is adorable and very friendly. I love the little sounds they make. When it's really cold I pick Forest up from the roost and put him under my coat while finishing chores with his little head sticking out. The cold really bothers them, like below 10 but they have weathered it well. Forest learned to nuzzle under my big fluffy Buff Orp hen when they roost for the night.

I wouldn't say they are "mean" per se, but they do assert themselves. If you are worried about their temperament, it may be worth looking into hatching eggs and let your hens hatch them, so they grow up in the established pecking order, rather than getting new adult birds and have them disrupt it.

That being said, some places to look could be Craigslist, Ebay, or contact your Extension Office and see if they know of people.
Extension office????

Join the American Bantam Club! For a very small price they will send you a nice fat book full of bantam breeders ads and ways to contact them. Many, many sebright breeders. Show birds are bred for temperment too- after all, you can't have him attacking the judge now can you?- so you increase your chance of getting one with a great disposition.
go to their website here www.bantamclub.com

Back
Top Bottom