sebright thread

Pics
Hi, I just got the "surprise bantam" chick at the feed store last Sunday, and am 99% sure it is a silver sebright. I am ever so excited, I think they are beautiful. I have hatched/raised lots of different breeds of chicks, and this is the calmest one I have ever seen. It just sits in your palm and makes itself comfortable.

Is it possible to feather sex them from hatchlings? They said the shipment came into the post office on Sunday, so I don't know if they were shipped during the week and the shipment was delayed or what. I am guessing it was probably hatched on Wed. or Thurs. which makes it about 8-9 days old. I know female chicks generally feather out faster than males, and this chick has some pretty developed wing feathers right now. Does this method have any accuracy or do I have to wait until it is a couple months old to check the comb? Does the width of the comb tell anything? And, just in case.... how loud is a sebright crow
big_smile.png

You are going to have to wait - really not possible at this point to tell hen from roo

Just got me some Silver Sebrights! I have wanted some ever since I saw them. I was searching craigslist and ran across this guy was selling off his flock of show birds. I got 11 birds for $250. I don't know if that is a good deal or not, but I am happy. Here are my little cuties!

Wow! Pretty flock. I don't show, so I don't know how great these birds are, but I paid $100 for 6 and had to drive 150 miles to get them each way so if you add in the price of gas I think you did pretty good. $22+ per bird isn't bad

looking at there quality i would say you got a good deal... i would hatch every egg you get and then just keep the best ones and sell the rest... i have heard they are not very hardy and don't lay well... i am just starting out with mine... i can attest to the chicks being a little harder to raise there 1st week... i am loosing about double with them than is normal with other breeds... so my plan is to hatch every egg and raise them until i see a reason to cull them and then sell then as young birds... i would like to raise about 100+ between my quad or Golden's and trio of silvers... i still have not found buffs so i think i am going to order some from one of the hatchery's and cull hard... i have seen photo's of lav laced silvers but i cant find where to buy them so i plan on creating them myself... along with Dun laced Golden's and silvers... ahhh the projects lol...
Just got me some Silver Sebrights! I have wanted some ever since I saw them. I was searching craigslist and ran across this guy was selling off his flock of show birds. I got 11 birds for $250. I don't know if that is a good deal or not, but I am happy. Here are my little cuties!

Just curious, but does anyone know how the sebright breed got its name - sebright?

Also do they come in regular size or just bantam?

The Sebright (pron.: /ˈsiːbraɪt/) is a breed of chicken named after its developer, Sir John Saunders Sebright. The Sebright is one of the oldest recorded British 'true' bantam (meaning it is a miniature bird with no corresponding large fowl to which it is related), created in the 19th century through a selective breeding program designed to produce an ornamental breed.[1] From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just curious, but does anyone know how the sebright breed got its name - sebright?

Also do they come in regular size or just bantam?

looking at there quality i would say you got a good deal... i would hatch every egg you get and then just keep the best ones and sell the rest... i have heard they are not very hardy and don't lay well... i am just starting out with mine... i can attest to the chicks being a little harder to raise there 1st week... i am loosing about double with them than is normal with other breeds... so my plan is to hatch every egg and raise them until i see a reason to cull them and then sell then as young birds... i would like to raise about 100+ between my quad or Golden's and trio of silvers... i still have not found buffs so i think i am going to order some from one of the hatchery's and cull hard... i have seen photo's of lav laced silvers but i cant find where to buy them so i plan on creating them myself... along with Dun laced Golden's and silvers... ahhh the projects lo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom