sebright thread

Well shoot! I see that you are correct. Oh well love em any way.
I'm getting quite a menagerie. 1 ee roo 2 ee hens 1 silkie roo 1 hen.
1 barred rock roo 5 hens 2 Brahma hens 1 orphington hen and 3 red star hens.

Success at last! After trying to incubate and hatch Sebrights since June I have finally got two chicks to survive. I hatched out a bunch, but they all died a within a week of hatching. My last batch of eggs for the year hatched last week. I actually forgot about the eggs and never put them into lockdown so only 2 of 8 chicks piped. They were shrink wrapped, so I broke them out and washed them off. I truly did not expect them to make it. Their toes were crooked, so I had to tape them up. Because of this I kept them in the incubator and did not move them to the brooder. Both of them are doing fine and their feet have straightened right out. All my other sebright chicks died after I moved them to the brooder, so now I am thinking that sebright chicks need to be kept in the incubator a lot longer the regular chicks. I think I will keep them in the incubator for 3 weeks before moving them to the brooder just in case.

How cold hardy are Seabrights? This is my first winter having one. Is there anything I need to do extra for it?

They can manage pretty well in the cold. Just treat them like other chickens: no drafts, but enough ventilation, clean food and water, etc.

If you feel like they aren't warm enough, try giving some cracked corn for extra carbs.

Mine go in the garage in the winter, but we get pretty rough weather. I would think Georgia weather would be fine.

I lost my juvenile sebright female. She got out and never came back. I now have the one hatchery mystery bird which is also a sebright. I do think they're gorgeous birds though so I might actually end up ordering or finding a breeder somewhere near so he/she can have a pal.

I lost my juvenile sebright female. She got out and never came back. I now have the one hatchery mystery bird which is also a sebright. I do think they're gorgeous birds though so I might actually end up ordering or finding a breeder somewhere near so he/she can have a pal.

Oh no, I am so sorry! I understand they can fly pretty well with the small bodies and large wings. I have considered clipping wings, but cannot bring myself to do it.

Well my sebright roo died Thursday. Have a feeling one of my standards killed him.
But just don't know. I've never seen any of them actually fighting , just a peck on the butt now and then. He appeared to have a broken neck.
Goin to miss him.

Oh no, I am so sorry! I understand they can fly pretty well with the small bodies and large wings. I have considered clipping wings, but cannot bring myself to do it.
Yeah I couldn't bring myself to clip her wings either. I actually feel a little better knowing she might be able to fly into a tree for safety.

Back
Top Bottom