sebright thread

I'm guessing Sally Seabright is fixing to start laying Napoleon my Porcelain d'Uccle was showing her extra attention yesterday. Wonder what that cross would look like? She is Gold Laced and the only Seabright I have.

That would be an incredibly pretty combination.

If you lived closer I'd be trying to swipe some of those eggs. Or at least begging you to sell me some. ^_^

My Gold Sebright upon flying across the vast expanse of snow covered nothing to find the raised garden she'd been heading for was covered in the SAME snow covered nothing. Poor baby!

Well my Little Sally has lived through two floods. The first at my friends house where over half the flock was killed. Sally was almost gone and I dried her with a hair dryer and carried her around in my hoodie pocket keeping her warm. I brought her home and made her a bed in a shoe box with a heating pad and never took her back. lol The flood at my house right before Thanksgiving wasn't as bad I didn't loose anyone. She and a LF EE are inseparable and live with my d'Uccle and Silkies. I have a Quail D'anver roo I could put her with, but he moved into the barn with the LF flock and Turkeys and I think things might get a little rough in there for her so they are part of the d'Uccle harem. I also have two d'UcclexSilkie roos who are duckwing colored and very pretty. I may just move the odd girls in with them. lol I wound up with lots of single colors and breeds... They have made themselves a little family.

That is awesome thumper, I've always had a couple sebrights in my flock but never such a large group and of great quality yours look to be:) I parted with a could in the fall but couldn't separate from the one gold that I saved. I hope to get more in the spring. Good luck with your birds!

I have one Golden Sebright she was just too pretty to not get from the feed store. Only problem with them is that they are so mean to other chickens. They are last in the pecking order so anything young or small is liable to be attacked by it. I put some younger orpingtons out with the older chickens and they ignored them except for my sebright, she jumped on them and started ripping their feathers out. I think I will wait until they are bigger than she is so they can teach her a lesson. Sounds mean but I would rather her not be trying to dominate the littler ones, especially considering how aggressive she can be.

My Sally Seabright doesn't attack, but she defends her friends. Today I was out with them and one of the bantam roos out of another coop tried to mount her Silkie buddy. Sally and Aunt Bea chased him off.

I have the remaining 3 mille fleur bearded duccles in the bantam coop with 7 sebrights. They are hatchmates, together from the beginning. At four and five weeks old the foot feathering was awesome on the millies- by 7 weeks the foot feathers were down to shafts/close to the legs and feet. I wondered about this and kept checking over them and finally came to the conclusion that the sebrights (3 of which are males) must be picking at the feet of the millies! One millie cockerel is crowing (since it was 10 weeks old) so I am having to build a separate coop/aviary for the sebrights. While they aren't aggressive yet they do tend to act the bully at times.

Odd request, but I have never raised Sebrights and I am unsure their size at maturity. Can someone post a picture of a fully grown SB next to something obvious (like a person), so I can get an idea of how big they really are when they are fully grown? Mine are 4 months and I was wondering how much more they will be growing.
Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Odd request, but I have never raised Sebrights and I am unsure their size at maturity. Can someone post a picture of a fully grown SB next to something obvious (like a person), so I can get an idea of how big they really are when they are fully grown? Mine are 4 months and I was wondering how much more they will be growing.
Thanks
thumbsup.gif
Here's my two girls, probably about 8 months old now, both been laying for the past few weeks next to their "sister" an 8 month old Leghorn hen.

In reference to the above post about them picking on other flock members, I don't see it really. Though they are very passionate about their feelings. We had 4 cockerels growing up with 5 assorted pullets, including a Gold and Silver Sebright. One cockerel, a porceline EE,was the Sebrights' favorite from the start. They literally adore him. They snuggle under his belly and crawl under his wings and just love him to death. To the point of overgrooming him a bit and nibbling all of his lovely Easter Egger whiskers off his face. Two of the other cockerels didn't bother with any of the pullets and just minded their own business. The last one though kept making advances on the young hens. He refused to acknowledge his place as second to the first cockerel. The one the Sebrights love. Every time this silly upstart would try to buddy up to one of the Sebrights they would go absolutely nuts on him. Jumping into the air all puffed up with their wings out and tails fanned. Kicking at him like little ninjas and screaming like velociraptors. My Silver Sebright once jumped right onto his back, grabbed a mouthful of feathers on the back of his neck and rode the poor thing around the yard. I never heard such a horrible frightened noise come from a chicken before. We removed the extra 3 cockerels from the flock and everybody's been fine since. They even accepted 4 more pullets recently. At the time the rest of the flock was around 6 months old and the new pullets were 4 weeks and about half the size of the Sebrights. I guess maybe because they were all still young. But the only one who gave me any trouble with the transition was the White Leghorn and the two Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom