sebright thread

Hello. I am sort of new to BYC, but I have known about it for a long time. The only time I really get on is when my flock has a problem. Anyway, I own four little silver-laced sebright hens. They are nine months old, and I am thinking only two or three of them are laying. I was curious: I hand-raised these chicks, but they seem very resistant and don't seem to trust me. The same with the roosters, except they became aggressive and I had to get rid of them. :( Any reasons why? I was reading some older posts, and everybody says their hens are nice. I do not abuse them or frighten them in anyway. But I do love them alot.

Ive got an 8 month old golden hen thats been laying almost every day for a month now an shes as nice as can be.

Last edited:
Hello. I am sort of new to BYC, but I have known about it for a long time. The only time I really get on is when my flock has a problem. Anyway, I own four little silver-laced sebright hens. They are nine months old, and I am thinking only two or three of them are laying. I was curious: I hand-raised these chicks, but they seem very resistant and don't seem to trust me. The same with the roosters, except they became aggressive and I had to get rid of them. :( Any reasons why? I was reading some older posts, and everybody says their hens are nice. I do not abuse them or frighten them in anyway. But I do love them alot. 

I have 1 golden sebright rooster and 1 golden sebright hen.
Just like your birds, the rooster is aggressive and the hen is very skittish.
The hen is friendly, but doesn't want to be touched at all and has some trusting issues.
The roosters aggression I think is fueled by fear. As an adolescent he was very kind and was my favorite bird. But it seemed as if overnight he changed and starting attacking my legs. He now has 1 1/2 inch spurs, so the attacks aren't taken very lightly. When I handle the rooster, he shakes the entire time, which leads me to believe he is afraid.

Both my sebrights are very flighty.

I have two trios right now. They were all together until one cockerel bacame dominant during adolescence and killed the third male I had. The 'killer' is still aggressive and I have to use the poo scooper to push him back when I tend his trio. The other male isn't aggressive at all. I have noticed that the girls got friendlier closer to point-of-lay and don't mind me at all. I believe part of it is that I don't free-choice feed so they are dependent upon seeing me each morning:) Last year I noticed the same thing happen in the outdoor brooder. So long as feed was available 24/7 the chicks had no reason to want me reaching into the brooder. once I only gave enough feed for the day they wanted to see me in the morning and didn't run from my touch. Right now my Sebright pullets run to me even if it isn't feed time and will fly onto my hands/arms. (I'm only keeping the aggressive cockerel to see if fertility rates will be higher than with the other trio.)

Here are my 5 month old silver seabrights! I hatched off 7 hens - 3 roosters.
Got there parents from TSC, and l love these little birds :love

Sebrights are known for being hard to raise:) At least that is what I read before I got them. Gotta have a challenge! Some males will be infertile, it's the breed. Do you have the males split down so you might be able to tell fertility from individuals?

Sebrights are known for being hard to raise:) At least that is what I read before I got them. Gotta have a challenge! Some males will be infertile, it's the breed. Do you have the males split down so you might be able to tell fertility from individuals?

Thanks ...I did not know that

I didn't ether! I had a hen go broody and I let her sit on them and had 10 out of 13 hatch.
But she wasn't a very good mother :(
3 days after hatch she started kicking them away and wouldn't let them get warm, almost lost a few so I took them away.

Back
Top Bottom