sebright thread

Hey everyone!:wee
I'm so happy to have found this thread! I've always been interested in some golden Sebrights, I just love their striking pattern.

Anyways, if you don't know... I'm a wildlife rehabilitator. Yesterday I got a call that there were some small chickens on the side of the road not too far from us. We decided to check it out and make sure that someone didn't own them. They ended up being almost in the middle of no where. There were no houses or farms anywhere near them. There was a little spot that people can pull over there. So we guessed that someone probably just dumped them there. This is sadly common around this time of the year. People get chicks for Easter but then don't want them once they get older. So they just abandon them:(

After a little while, we spotted them. That's when I identified them as a beautiful trio of golden sebrights. Two pullets and one rooster. They looked no older than 4 months old. We waited till dusk to see where they roost. Sure enough, they didn't have a home. So they roosted on a branch.

We decided to bring them back with us. Luckily they were pretty easy to catch once they roosted. We put them in one of our quarantine pens. They were famished and ate a ton of food and water.

They are extremely skittish, which makes sense, because who knows how long they have been living on the side of the road. But hopefully they will warm up to us soon.

I'm quite excited since they just so happened to be a breed that I have always been interested in. So wish me luck:fl

If you would like I can add some pictures tomorrow and an update ;)
Oh how wonderful!!! Amazing coincidence that this was the breed you were interested in. You're gonna love them!
And, YES, pics please!!!

Here are some pictures of them!:celebrate
20180619_101236(0).jpg
20180619_100621.jpg
20180619_100416.jpg
20180619_100421.jpg

I finally got my sebright flock... I went to a small animal auction and they had so many I bought all the golden and four of the silver .... Now to build a coop that is sebright worthy and to attend to these dolls with extra TLC as they have been neglected

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_232407.jpg
    IMG_20180616_232407.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180616_213628.jpg
    IMG_20180616_213628.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20180616_232353.jpg
    IMG_20180616_232353.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20180616_213628.jpg
    IMG_20180616_213628.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 15
I have 13 Silver Sebright chicks, they are a 11 days old. Some of them are getting aggressive. I am thinking about doing all of the suggested actions from here but is there a way to know male or female.

I have 13 Silver Sebright chicks, they are a 11 days old. Some of them are getting aggressive. I am thinking about doing all of the suggested actions from here but is there a way to know male or female.
Post some pics and we'll help you, also look thru the pics in this thread, and you'll see comparisons of sexes at young ages....Sebrights are feisty little birds. Enjoy!

20180904_125929.jpg
Thank you so much! I have training in large snd small animal but have never worked with chickens. We had 2 Golden Sex-Links plus 2 Plymouth Bards but a weasel pulled up the eye stake. We were devastated but are doing things differently now to our run plus 2 coops. We live on an old volcano so trenching is impossibly expensive, doing modifications now. Yet, the behavior last night was of protection and gaurding the flock. They were spread out in a protective circle while others slept. I also have 2 Cinnamon Queens along with a Calico Princess who are 10 days older. The Calico blends in with the Sebrights but the Cinnamon do not bc of this there is mild aggression towards them yet enough that they are trying to jump/fly out of their enclosure. Tapping on the back of the aggressor calmed down the situation for the night. Yet I have 2 extremely small Sebrights who could be called Napolean with minor injuries to the top of their heads.See pics below

Attachments

• 20180904_113331.jpg
    20180904_113331.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
I had one chick that was just plain mean. Kept attacking a bunch of the other chicks relentlessly. I ended up buying a metal hamster cage from Walmart and sticking him in there so he could be by the other chickens, but not get to them. Turns out he was a boy. I'm not saying that's the reason for the aggressiveness, but just suggesting maybe separating out the mean birds from the others.

I had one chick that was just plain mean. Kept attacking a bunch of the other chicks relentlessly. I ended up buying a metal hamster cage from Walmart and sticking him in there so he could be by the other chickens, but not get to them. Turns out he was a boy. I'm not saying that's the reason for the aggressiveness, but just suggesting maybe separating out the mean birds from the others.
Thank you so much for your insight. I am going to Oregon today to buy something bigger to partition them off.

Thank you so much for your insight. I am going to Oregon today to buy something bigger to partition them off.
Good luck. Hopefully giving them some time apart will help them calm down. If not, then at least the nice birds will get to relax a little until it's time to leave the brooder.
My meanie did eventually stop picking on all the others. IDK if it was a sign that they were getting crowded, but he was the only one who did it, so I think he was just a jerk (still kinda is).

Back
Top Bottom