Chickening Around
5 Years
May 24, 2014
BYC? Epic <3
My Coop
My Coop
Just for all the September chickies...
D.gif

I have a broody hen with 16 eggs due in September! Anyone out the to joing me...????

Oh my word
ep.gif
that is soooo many! What are you going to do with them all?????

I will keep the largest for breeders. A friend wants a few dozen to get himself started, and the rest will be sold. I got into it this spring thinking I would eat some, but I've been able to sell all that I can produce so far. It saves me the trouble of cleaning them, at least.

Yesterday I set 9 eggs each under my two broody bantam cochins! Ordered eggs plus this is the first fertility test for the Roo...They are only 6 months old, so he (in particular) is still developing his color pattern. The trio is a mille fleur (incomplete), a calico, and Rooster Ricky
is a gorgeous blue mille fleur! Eggs would hatch Friday the 5th...if all goes well! Mille fleur, Blue Mille Fleur, and a couple mottled eggs as well. We'll see!

Ethel angrily stomping around when I moved her nest. She got over it when she saw REAL eggs instead of golfballs!:

Here's Lucy looking over the situation:

Papa (of a few, i hope!) Ricky:

Last edited:
I'm in.... Due to hatch around the 5th. This is my first time. I'm using a broody from my mom ( she lives next door). It's the first for everything! First time for her to sit, first time for us to hatch eggs, and first time to to see if the roo is fertile. Fingers crossed we get some!

Can I join? I have 13 total in the incubator, 10 experimental Cornish X's and 3 RIR, RIR/buff Orpington mix. Due to hatch September 3rd.

Thanks!
Dana

I candled last night ( can't resist a quick peek), and I was totally amazed to see movement in an egg on day 7!
It's my first time, but I thought it took longer than that.

I have around 30 Serama eggs in the bator on day 4. I candled some last night... couldn't help myself. Looks like several clears and a couple quitters already. I was a little disappointed till it occurred to me that if they all hatched then it would be hard for me to justify getting more eggs! Chicken math IS going to catch up to me!

Back
Top Bottom