Sex- linked Information

Pics
Hey all I'm slowly reading through this thread again, but have a question, has anyone crossed a BO hen with a Delaware roo? if so did it make a sexlink or can I at least get an idea of what the chicks would like? I have 4 roos, and 16 hens and want to know what I need to add or do to get a few more sl chicks........??? My breeds listed below.
I have a wonderful Del, roo..hansom who is so sweet and not a bad specimen of the breed, and I have ordered some BO pullet chicks......... he is my main rooster in my Straight comb pen, so these girls will end up with him, so I want to figure out what the babies will look like............? anyone know the answer to that 1? Ty KIM
BTW great info on this thread..now all I have to do is make my brain soak up all this info and maybe by the time I'm 80 I'll actually get it........... hehe
My Roos
White Wyandotte
EE, splash I think he has a gray beard, with lots of red splashes over white, his tail is black and white.
SS
Delaware

Hens

WW
EE
SLW
WR
BR
BO
Delaware
SS
also have 3 BSL's from TSC
So if any of these would make a good cross, I would be very happy. to hear it............. or will I have to get another rooster........grrrrrrrrrrr
also wondering what kind of chick would come from a Del roo and BR hen? she seems to be hansoms favorite girl.......... poor peaches.....she is getting alot of unwanted attention these days.........LOL
TY much if anyone is still around from this thread................ Kim

The only rooster that I’d trust to work for Sex Links is the Speckled Sussex. The others don’t have the correct genes, though the Splash EE is interesting. I’ll get to that at the bottom of this post. If you use your Speckled Sussex rooster:

You will get Black Sex Links with the Barred Rock.

I’m guessing you mean White Wyandotte with WW and White Rock with WR. I copied below what Tim wrote in the first post in this thread about them.

* White Wyandottes and *White Plymouth Rocks are not a good choice. They sometimes have the correct genotype to produce sex linked chicks and at other times, they do not have the correct genotype to produce sex linked chicks. If a White Wyandotte carries the correct genotype, then the male down will vary in color: whitish, yellowish or even smoky white. The females produced from a Rhode Island Red and White Wyandotte cross can also vary in color from a striped gold down into a light buff color.

Your Silver Laced Wyandotte will give you red sex links.

Your Delaware will give you red sex links. You won’t be able to see the spot, but the male offspring will be barred and the female will not.

Now, for the Splash rooster. Since it is an EE, I would not trust the genes in it. They are a mix and you never know what is in there. It is a bit of a gamble because you don’t know what else is in there, but the Splash rooster might work too. If you cross the Splash rooster with either the Delaware or Barred Rock hens, you should get Blue chicks. The males will be barred and the females will not, so they are Black Sex Links. The gamble is I don’t know if you will be able to see the spot or not. I’ve never hatched blue chicks so I am not sure how clear that spot would be anyway, and the other genes in that Splash EE rooster may interfere with you being sure of the spot.

Ok I get ya.....I have some EE babies right now that are almost 6 weeks old, with my 1 EE hen and my SLW, none were apparently male or female though I have a feeling at least 4 of the 5 are male............... This is the rooster can you tell type by color? or is it much more complicated than that?

These are the babies at 5 weeks

So apparently I will need to get another rooster........ what Breed should work best for the girls I have............. I really don't want another roo, maybe I will just buy BSL from a hatchery or TSC next year, but just incase I do decide to get a roo.......would a RIR or what be best.........???
TY so much for your info and help. Kim

Great info thanks - I have a question for you..

I have a Creme Legbar Roosers (auto sexing) and am crossing him with my Welsummer hens (auto sexing) to produce olive eggers. Is there any chance these babies will be auto sexing? Just wondering.

Great info thanks - I have a question for you..

I have a Creme Legbar Roosers (auto sexing) and am crossing him with my Welsummer hens (auto sexing) to produce olive eggers. Is there any chance these babies will be auto sexing? Just wondering.

Interesting.ANyone have the answer?

no they wont be

legbars are bred true autosexing chicks so they will auto sex when bred across to each other

welsummers are not autosexing as standard

under normal circumstances you cannot use a autosexing with a non autosexing to get sexlinks

All the reading on sex liks that I've done was on the red variety. Here I've had dom hens and didn't even think of it. I thought the ROO had to be barred.... :rolleyes: I made black sex links without even knowing!

Dominique hen x GLW roo.

Both chicks have no dots on head. Both girls! :D

Back
Top Bottom