She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

I have a question about 1 of my Nankin hens, ever since it got cold she's really lethargic and she sleeps alot and stays puffed up. But when I feed, she perks right up. At night she can't get up on the roost bar. This didn't start happening til it got cold. Now I have to help her up on the roost bar so she doesn't freeze at night on the coop floor by herself. She acts like she's going yo try to get up there but all she does is a small little hop that gets her about 2 inches off the ground, she won't flap her wings or anything. Any ideas what could be wrong? There's no nasal discharge or coughing/sneezing so I don't think it's a cold are anything like that. This has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

My chicks are almost 2 weeks old and doing very well.
They grow so fast, don't they?
That first pic kinda reminds me of you living in Greenwood. One black chick in the middle of a bunch of blondes with red necks :gig

I purchased 3, 6-week old paint silkie chicks today. I've had no luck buying pullets from any of the breeders. Just keep getting told that they'll put me on a list for next year. These are breeder quality and I'm REALLY hoping for girls!! They will be shipped out to me on Tuesday from Michigan. Tues & Wed temps are supposed to be above freezing at night. So, :fl they arrive safely. This is my first time having live birds shipped!

I don't know much about sop for AM, ok...I know nothing, actually! But he's a very handsome, healthy boy. I really like the sheen in his feathers!

I've hatched over a hundred chicks and just recently some ducks.
I for one do help my babies hatch if they don't hatch completely out within 24hrs, I do this because they deserve a chance if they are not helped out they will die anyway so imo its worth the risk.

I make sure to turn the eggs about daily, I place water in the incubator, and I keep it at 100 that's all I do. Again if a chick needs help I will put a warm wet paper towel around the egg of this don't help, I will then pull back the outer hard shell only... never ever pull the inner soft shell.

If any chick is weak I mix up my own drink to help nurse them; water, honey, vitamin b12, D, and C.

:thumbsup

So is it a sign of obsession to fire up my incubator and hatcher once a week for a temperature test, when I won't be setting eggs for two more months?

:lau
My birthday is right around xmass and I'm getting a new incubator!!! :weee How am I not going to test it out!!??

I purchased 3, 6-week old paint silkie chicks today. I've had no luck buying pullets from any of the breeders. Just keep getting told that they'll put me on a list for next year. These are breeder quality and I'm REALLY hoping for girls!! They will be shipped out to me on Tuesday from Michigan. Tues & Wed temps are supposed to be above freezing at night. So,
fl.gif
they arrive safely. This is my first time having live birds shipped!
I don't know much about sop for AM, ok...I know nothing, actually! But he's a very handsome, healthy boy. I really like the sheen in his feathers!
thumbsup.gif

lau.gif

My birthday is right around xmass and I'm getting a new incubator!!!
wee.gif
How am I not going to test it out!!??
Good luck! You are braver than I!

Hi everyone! Had my last hatch of cemani for the year yesterday. 100% hatch rate :) Unfortunately no keepers, but what can you do? Hopefully I can sell all that are laid for the rest of the year - otherwise I'll be having some expensive breakfasts!

I also got a heat plate brooder for Christmas - my mom asked me what I wanted and bought it for me! She had me open it when it came to make sure it was all correct, and it was. She also bought the cover for me so the chicks can't get on top of it and poop all over it :sick So I'm looking forward to trying that out in the spring! After I opened it, I got to wrap it up and put it under the tree, lol.

Its been awhile since I have been on. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! The last of our house guests have left so we now have the house back to ourselves. DH wants brownies instead of a birthday cake so I still have that to do. Had to move the babes to a bigger brooder :)

they seem happy to have more room to run, chase & sleep.

Hi everyone! Had my last hatch of cemani for the year yesterday. 100% hatch rate :) Unfortunately no keepers, but what can you do? Hopefully I can sell all that are laid for the rest of the year - otherwise I'll be having some expensive breakfasts!

I also got a heat plate brooder for Christmas - my mom asked me what I wanted and bought it for me! She had me open it when it came to make sure it was all correct, and it was. She also bought the cover for me so the chicks can't get on top of it and poop all over it :sick So I'm looking forward to trying that out in the spring! After I opened it, I got to wrap it up and put it under the tree, lol.

That sucks about the culls... but awesome score on the brooder plate! Although, not much fun when you know what you're opening on xmas, lol... wish I could afford those eggs, maybe another time... hope they sell well for ya!! :)

Its been awhile since I have been on. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! The last of our house guests have left so we now have the house back to ourselves. DH wants brownies instead of a birthday cake so I still have that to do. Had to move the babes to a bigger brooder :)

they seem happy to have more room to run, chase & sleep.

Awwwww... lookit how big they've gotten!!! Adorable!!

Back
Top Bottom