Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use bungie cords.
I use bungee cords too.(5) per pens with doors. If you’ve ever seen a fox or raccoon near a pen during daylight the birds turn into pinballs and I wouldn’t trust a simple latch system with them bouncing off the walls.

I use bungee cords too.(5) per pens with doors. If you’ve ever seen a fox or raccoon near a pen during daylight the birds turn into pinballs and I wouldn’t trust a simple latch system with them bouncing off the walls.
Wow! I didn't realize that trees falling, big dogs, little dogs running through them, a half a dozen little kids running and screaming through them, gun shots, multiple gun shots, the neighbors lawn mower back firing, people wearing bright colored clothes walking through them, etc, etc, would cause them to go ballistic flying around in the pens like zombies. I have never (not one) wire pen door come open with these latches, and I'm willing to bet that I've been bending wires on pens long enough to have tested and proven a latch or two. Every pen I own with a wire door has these latches. I will continue using my simple latch system.

I use only one cord per pen. It is not supper strong and would not stop a raccoon. If chickens disturbed dogs would be their quickly to dispatch problem anyway. I move pens frequently so they are realitively calm even when riding mower goes buy. Some of my broodies have been kept in pens were a milk crate is hung over a whole and held in place by a couple of wires. Even though the holes are near top of pens, hens quickly learn to fly up to holes to enter pen in the evening. A third wire holds crate up so hole open. Stags can do it too, but cannot be trusted in a field full of pens.

Wow! I didn't realize that trees falling, big dogs, little dogs running through them, a half a dozen little kids running and screaming through them, gun shots, multiple gun shots, the neighbors lawn mower back firing, people wearing bright colored clothes walking through them, etc, etc, would cause them to go ballistic flying around in the pens like zombies. I have never (not one) wire pen door come open with these latches, and I'm willing to bet that I've been bending wires on pens long enough to have tested and proven a latch or two. Every pen I own with a wire door has these latches. I will continue using my simple latch system.
Use what you want I don’t give a sh*t. I should have clarified though I’m talking about dome pens where the wire isn’t as solid as being attached to wood. I use regular latches screwed into the wood on the door and the frame.
I have seen my own two little eyes a red fox run into the wire of the fence and a hen pop out the top of the door. And these were bungeed tight. A latch like you use on a dome pen I’m sure would work fine most of the time. In that same scenario there is no way in hell that latch would hold a door closed tighter than the bungees I had on it. Especially with the small gap she squeezed out of in the corner.

That gap was still so tight I couldn’t even get her back In the pen the way she came out without hurting her. May have been a fluke but since I saw it. I’ll do things differently.

That gap was still so tight I couldn’t even get her back In the pen the way she came out without hurting her. May have been a fluke but since I saw it. I’ll do things differently.
Yes sir, your right about that fluke chance. I can say I've had dogs and other critters chew and bend my pen wires. Knock on wood, I still have not had one door fail on my wire pens.

I am going to be hatching well over a hundred games this spring. Need help coming up with ways to fix culls when fryer size and a little past. Dumplings already part of list. Will pan fry the younger birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom