Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, are you just taking those birds out into field just for photographs? I could not get mine to stand if near pen area and some would take off like pheasant to get to cover when out like that.

John, are you just taking those birds out into field just for photographs? I could not get mine to stand if near pen area and some would take off like pheasant to get to cover when out like that.
That field is right on the other side of my fence. He is free range and goes over there all the time. A couple hens were over there with him too. I think mine just may be used to it, I have a few trees in my yard but not many bushes, so they are exposed most of the time.

They are all over the neighbor and in the neighbor's yard... they are not shy at all. Probably dont have the same fear of predators that your's might have, as we dont have the density of predators as back east or in the south .

Very nice bird ..... hatch variety ?
Yeah he is mixed Hatch with Spanish game, warhorse and grey. He has the wild jungle fowl look and I recently noticed the Blueface strain of AGF has similar traits.

Do you have a way to keep the free-ranging adult males from getting to pens? Currently I have the ability to keep only one away from pen area and I still have to watch that one close. If a hen gets excited over in pen area there is very real risk the free-range bird will run or fly over there causing a fight through wire, oh so much fun. :(

Do you have a way to keep the free-ranging adult males from getting to pens? Currently I have the ability to keep only one away from pen area and I still have to watch that one close. If a hen gets excited over in pen area there is very real risk the free-range bird will run or fly over there causing a fight through wire, oh so much fun. :(
Story of my life.. Lol

I keep him out specifically because he wasnt prone to fighting between the fence. He is more concerned about his hens most of the time.... every once in a while he is up against the fence.. and he has some damage on the back of feet, which is a sign that he has been kicking the fence. but he doesnt spend all day doing it..

I think because I never confined him he doesnt get as terriortorial (worked up) as some of the others. I noticed that when you have them confined they come out all hot and bothered ready to destroy any rooster they see.

You will not be able to trust him long-term. At some point he is going to go all out and cause real damage. Sometimes you may have one that simply taunts penned birds into damaging themselves. Some of my American Dominiques do that.

You will not be able to trust him long-term. At some point he is going to go all out and cause real damage. Sometimes you may have one that simply taunts penned birds into damaging themselves. Some of my American Dominiques do that.
Centrarchid is telling you the Absolute Truth

I will try to take more pictures of all of them. The previous owners cousin gave us another rooster. Very nice looking, Looks almost the same but with yellow legs. I also wanted to ask about letting the hens hatch the eggs. I have 3 hens that have been laying eggs. Only one hen seems to be laying on all the eggs in one nest. She doesnt stay on the eggs all the time. I have not candled the eggs yet. How do I know if they are going to hatch the eggs or if I need to just collect them till I get an incubator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom