Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happened so suddenly too. She's almost laying age. I'm keeping a closer eye on everyone else now. In case she was just the first. If it's due to injury, she will have to be culled. I put vitamins in everyone's water.

Marek's can also cause wry neck and in pullets close to laying. If its not a vitamin issue id look into the above.

Whats the eyes look like?

Got lazy, didn't want to drive out of town for the normal feed I get at a local mill. Bought feather fixer feed at TSC. Almost to the end of the bag and one of my game pullets now has crookneck. I syringed her rooster booster and water. She can still hold her head up somewhat, but it almost looks like a candy cane and her head shakes. What else can I do for her? Other than the crock pot.
Sounds like she's been eating wet feed off the ground, get you some fruit cocktail and chop up a small portion of it, take a very small spoon and put it in her mouth, then make sure she swallows it you might have to rub her throat to make it go down. Get at least 2 or 3 table spoons in her now then tomorrow do it again.

Last edited:
They're all shut up in the garage again. We have mosquitoes swarming. Like the size of helicopters. Every fall when the bugs are thick I end up with a sick bird or two. They are worse now than they were through the summer. We moved them back in the garage to keep them away from the mosquitoes. So she's been eating out of a cage cup. The floor is concrete with hay over it. No rain. She got up on the roost last night by herself. The rest of her body is working just fine. She's walking around, can obviously jump. Just having trouble controlling her head and neck. Her eyes looked fine to me last night when I was giving her vitamins. I'll get some pictures of her. I'm going to bring her in again today and give her more vitamins and feed her. I'm scared to go check on her in case it's worse. I've put it off. I better go get her though.

She's holding her head up today. Her neck is still not as straight as it should be, but her head isn't shaking and she's able to eat and drink on her own. So I'm just going to keep putting vitamins in her water. All I did yesterday was bring her in, overdose her on vitamins and help her drink some water. I was scared to feed her in case she choked. But she's eating breakfast just fine and not at all interested in me catching her today.

Screenshot_2017-09-30-09-47-14.png
Screenshot_2017-09-30-09-47-50.png

She's still not straightening her neck out, but at least it doesn't look like a candy cane today.

She's holding her head up today. Her neck is still not as straight as it should be, but her head isn't shaking and she's able to eat and drink on her own. So I'm just going to keep putting vitamins in her water. All I did yesterday was bring her in, overdose her on vitamins and help her drink some water. I was scared to feed her in case she choked. But she's eating breakfast just fine and not at all interested in me catching her today.

What type of vitamins are you giving her?
It almost looks like Limberneck, which can be associated with Botulism or like @flypen mentioned, eating wet feed that could have gone rancid.
Wry Neck is a possibility, but usually the neck is more twisted to the side or backward - give Vitamin E, B1 and a source of Selenium. Vitamin E 400UI daily, 1/2 human B-Complex tab (no iron) and for selenium chopped egg.

Any chance she injured the neck?

My smartphone cracked all to pieces using the wife's so back to the ol indesrtuctable and it won't load the new forum. I'll post some photos of the rest later but the birds are the following...
2- 1/2 pumpkin 1/2 gilmore hatch
1- 1/2 white kelso 1/2 pumpkin
1- 1/2 white kelso 1/4 law grey 1/4 bonanza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom